I Can't Sleep Tonight . . .

Chapter 17

---Demetrius’ POV---

After missing out on nearly a week of school it was only natural that Cassidy and I remained in the class on that fateful day that we did. Though I wasn’t up to it interaction was something that had to be common if we were ever to coexist, that and I missed my friends. I hadn’t been able to go out with them very often these nights because they were all either going hunting or out for kicks and either way I wouldn’t have been able to keep up.  I wasn’t even sure that a Clandestyne could hold out this long without implications but it seemed fine, I simply needed to pace myself. I had to let her know how sorry I was. I didn’t know if I regretted what I did but I do know that I regretted having used her.

“Hey Myles, when was the last time you have centaur blood?” Ephraim asked playfully. You had to be kidding me.

“Not sure, but I could go for some, what about you Zane?”

Zane shrugged. “I’d hunt with you if you were going tonight.”

“Don’t be greedy, you went hunting a week ago.” Priscilla reminding him sternly. Okay I couldn’t take this.

“Guys can you please stop talking about food, you’re killing me.” I complained.

“Still not hunting huh?” Xavier asked, looking over at Cassidy.

“Nope.” Her answer was indifferent; she had stopped caring about whether or not I hunted. As far as she was concerned I deserved everything that I got and she was perfectly right.

“Well, you are missing out big time.” Zane gloated. I glared at him and he became silent.

“Are you starving yourself because of that girl?” Kaitlyn asked in contempt. I never did understand why she never liked Jamie but that was no concern of mine.

“Her name is not ‘that girl’ it’s Jamie, and yes I am.” I said rather matter of factly. Did she expect any other answer? She became crossed.

“You know, I want to know what she has that I don’t! I mean she’s even human—you know it would never work, your line would end at you but if we were together then think of all the nice children were could have together—“

I turned my head away from her, and indication that she needed to stop talking because I had stopped listening.

“You know I had completely forgotten about that little issue,”  Dianne said with a thoughtful sigh, “you Clandestynes are such a complex specie.”

Kaitlyn flashed around to her. “Well sorry we can’t be as simply as you Vampires who put it up just about anywhere and get knocked up!!” She spat. Every respective Vampire in that room jumped up ready to defend that statement. Kaitlyn knew how sensitive that issue was so she deserved whatever tongue lashing she received—or well would have received if the door hadn’t suddenly burst open.

“No way! I have mythical creatures in my class?!” Oh no, Mme. Brouers. She must have been the shuffling I heard outside the door. “Oh this is so exciting, wow! Do any of you want to bite me? Oh wow this is going to be so awesome, I’m going to be a mythical creature!” My God this woman was strange.

“Uh . . .”

“Um . . .”

“Well you see—“

“No.” Dianne said, putting an end to all the run around. The lady straightened her glasses as if to brush of the rejection.

“Yes, I see, you can’t just bite me like that, there must be rules.” Yeah, the Dean of Magic would have killed us for allowing something like her into the Mythical Community—hell we’d kill ourselves. Her? Walking among us? Yikes. “Hm . . . Oh well.” She reached into her bag and I’m sure we all saw when she pricked her finger against the razor; not sure why she would have one in her bag but yeah . . . “Ouch!” She cried out.