Living Dead

Chapter 23

That day I went back with Demetrius and Cassidy to their house. It wasn’t much of a big deal or anything like that I just didn’t feel like going home and having Mom rag on me for just about everything; she had gotten so miserable since lately and I couldn’t deal with her. Of course as soon as it got to around four she realized exactly where I was and of course she called to make sure that I knew that even though it was Friday night she expected me home by 11—in short I couldn’t sleep over.

“My mom said she wants me home by 11.” I said walking back into the living room. Both Caspian and Alexiel turned to me as I said this but I kept my mind focused on Cassidy who I was actually talking to in the first place.

“Aww but you usually stay the night or stay ‘til after 3, that’s so not fair what has gotten into your mother?” Cassidy whined.

I sighed wondering the same thing. “I know but at least she didn’t say I couldn’t come back at all.”

She looked up at me thoughtfully from her seat in the couch where she was leaning unto her brother’s chest. “True.” She said after another minute. I threw myself unto the couch next to her and she handed me my hand of cards so we could continue our game of poker—so far she was cleaning me out but I was counting on her being a good person and decided that this was just a casual game that didn’t require the rest of my money until graduation.

“Do you want me to order some dinner for you before I go?” Auntie Annalise asked with the phone in her hand. She was so nice; she treated me like I was her own daughter and I never caught her yelling at any of her children no matter what they did which was amazing. I wished my mom was more like her, hardly anything bothered her. In a way she was like Cassidy only Cassidy had a boiling point and I had never seen hers.

“Sure, can I have some pizza?” I asked, not daring to take my eyes off my cards; they had a way of disappearing when I wasn’t paying attention. Never play poker with Cassidy or her no good brother Demetrius. He had a different way of coning you out of a game; seduction.

Auntie Annalise nodded then walked back into the kitchen.

“Remarkable.” Alexiel said with a reflective tone as he stared over at me. What the hell was he staring at me for? “A Vampire who prefers pizza to blood . . . rather interesting . . .” he got up from his seat and walked directly infront of me. He stared deep into my eyes.

“Umm . . .” I began. He was freaking me out.

“She is not a damn Vampire!” Demetrius said. Though he meant it to be a shout his voice wasn’t strong enough for him to go that loud. “She’s a human.”

Alexiel glanced over at him without saying a word. He seemed to have been trying to exercise some patience. Auntie Annalise walked back into the room.

“The pizza will be here in about twenty minutes so listen out for it.” She said.

“Okay, have a good shift.” Cassidy called after her as she walked out of the house. It was her night to be on guard duty. I watched her go through the door and my mind played the image of what the inside looked like. I had been in there once and it looked nothing like the outside; it more resembled the inside of an immigration office/ something straight out of airport security. I guess that would have explained why they didn’t mind working in there, it was nice.

My eyes shifted back to Alexiel and that was when I noticed that he was still watching me and Demetrius was still glaring at him.

“Hm . . .” He mused. Slowly he turned to face Caspian. “Caspian will you go back to my personal library and ask my librarian to hand you my staff.” He asked casually. Caspian gave him a look that said he couldn’t be bothered but he got up anyway. With a sigh he extended his hand and tore open a portal. So that was how they opened them. . .  had been curious about that since the day the Dean of Magic had showed up through one of them. When the portal closed Alexiel looked back to Demetrius. “So how long as it been since you’ve gone hunting?”