You Have Some Nerve

Chapter 12

The early morning sun shone in through the clear window and unto my tainted body. Never before had I felt so violated . . . so dirty. I could just die. How could Demetrius have even done that to me? I thought we had a better relationship than that. Then again he was a compulsive liar—what if it was all a façade that led up to this—this bitter betrayal. As I laid on the bed my back was turned to the man who had taken my innocence. I couldn’t bring myself to look at him; it hurt too much.

“Jamison?” His voice was calling me. I sucked in a deep breath and tried to pretend that he hadn’t. “Are you awake?” I laid perfectly still. I didn’t want him calling my name anymore. Everytime he did it reminded me of the night before; the night I wanted so badly to forget. “Jamison?” Why couldn’t he leave me alone . . . ? “Well I’m going downstairs to make some breakfast so . . .” He got up slowly, pulled on an oversized dress shirt and left the room.

About five minutes after he left Cassidy bolted into the room. When she saw me curled up on the bed her expression was blatantly shocked. “Jamie!” She said in astonishment as she ran over to me. When I didn’t make any reaction to her advance she rested her hand on my cheek and searched my face for any hint of what I might have been feeling but that would have been difficult because at the moment my expression was like my feelings; blank. I couldn’t feel anything anymore. At first I was worried that something was wrong with me but I soon accepted it. The numbness was actually comforting. “I need to get you out of here but first,” She said bending over and picking up the shreds that remained of my clothes. “I need to get you some clothes.” That only reminded me of how violent last night had gotten. It was like some animal side of him had taken over leaving no place for regret or sympathy. He went hard and occasionally his claws would scratch me. I was surprized that I was still in one piece.

She bolted to the window and got set to jump. I don’t know how but in a second I was beside her and I was holding unto her hand. I didn’t want her to leave. What if she never came back? What if she left me her with him . . . forever . . . and he hurt me again . . . ? I couldn’t chance it; she had to get me out of there.

“Huh? How did you . . .” Her voice trailed off as she looked into my blank eyes. “Don’t worry Jamie, I’ll be right back.” She said, stroking my cheek a few times before she jumped. I sighed then walked back to the bed and sat. As I did the memories from the night before came pouring back with haunting force. I jumped up instantly and fell to my knees. This wasn’t happening . . . go away . . .I tried suppressing those horrible images but they just kept coming back; each image more vivid than its predecessor. Go away . . .

Cassidy walked back into the room and the noise of her entrance pulled me from my thoughts thankfully.

“Here put these on.” She said tossing my clothes over to me. I watched them fly towards me and didn’t move when they hit me in the face. In some distant part of me I knew that she was talking to me but it just wasn’t registering in my brain. “Jamie?” She called again. My mouth wouldn’t open. She must have realized that I wasn’t going to move because then she walked over to me and began dressing me. I felt out of my body. It was as if I was standing at a distant watching myself. When she got me dressed I realized that the clothes were from my closet. She had gone home and she didn’t take me with her . . . “There, now I know you’re probably hungry but we can’t stay here so you’ll get something to eat when you get home.” She said in a soft voice. I was nowhere near hungry but I nodded to expedite the process. The longer I stayed here was the longer I had to deal with all this . . . all these memories. . .

She picked me up and took me downstairs. As we walked through the livingroom I caught Mr Carlton staring at us but he made no movements towards us. I sighed in relief. I don’t know what I would have done if he had decided that I couldn’t leave.