Creatures In The Class

Chapter 9

I paced back and forth for nearly two hours trying to figure out how I would have been able to get out of this. Mom was set on me going which meant that no matter what I did I wouldn't escape it. Sometimes I just wished that she wasn't so hard headed.

"Jamie hurry up and get down here, we have to go!" Mom called from downstairs. 

I sat on my bed and began silently panicking as I felt the tears come to my eyes. I didn't want to be alone with him . . .Why couldn't she see him for himself. This is the only time her talk on danger could actually come into play and she couldn't even see it. 

"Hey aren't you suppose to be headed through the door so I can coincidentally run into you?"

I turned to my balcony immediately. "Demetrius!"

"The one and only. Now, where are we going?" He asked curiously.

"Mr. Carlton's house."

"What?!" He whispered incredulously. "Why?!"

"He claims that I failed the French pop-quiz and now he wants to tutor me."

Demetrius growled but then he tried to control himself. "Well, it can't be helped, I'll meet you downstairs." Then he walked back towards the edge and jumped. Yes! He was back to himself! I grabbed my coat and rushed down stairs. 

"Okay mom I'm ready!" I called as I shot past her and ran to the door. "Come on mom hurry up!"

"I'm glad to see how enthusiastic you've become about this." She said with an approving nod.

"Yeah . . .sure . . .I'm super excited . . ." I said as I through open the door. Demetrius smiled at me then walked by me and entered the house. He looked first at Dad then at Mom.

"Good evening."

"Hey Demetrius, long time no see." Dad said casually from his seat on the couch.

"Yeah . . .um . . .do you think you could drop me off at Mr. Carlton's house? My mom's working the night shift again so she can't take me and Dad's helping my sisters with some kind of girl issue." He said, sounding as if he felt awkward.

"Sure." Mom said grabbing up her keys, "We were just headed there, but why are you going?"

He smiled guiltily. "It would seem that I failed his pop-quiz and now he wants to tutor me."

"What a coincidence." Mom said. "You see Jamie, that test wasn't as easy as you thought, and now you have company." I rolled my eyes. This lie was so blatant that it hurt to listen. Mom had seriouslybeen slacking off on her reigns. A couple years ago that excuse would never have been able to fly. "Now you won't have to worry about being alone."

"Pardon?" Demetrius asked feigning confusion.

Mom waved her hand dismissively. "Oh it's nothing, Jamie just has this theory that her French teacher wants to rape her." Demetrius began laughing as if that was the most ridiculous thing he had ever heard but I knew that deep down he knew just how true it could have been. "I know, it's funny isn't it?"

"Very." Demetrius said, hardly able to contain himself.

"Hello I'm standing right here! And it's not a theory, it's the truth something I don't expect you to know very much of." The last part was directed at Demetrius. He flashed me a knowing smile which only made me roll my eyes again.

Mom followed the directions carefully and we arrived at this two storey house that I had to admit looked awesome. We walked to the front door and I swear we stood there for like ten minutes just waiting for each other to press the doorbell. As soon as mom realized our game she sighed in annoyance, pressed it then went back to the car and drove off as I watched in shock. My mother would never have left me at some stranger's house without so much as looking inside first. What the hell was going on?! The door opened and both Demetrius and I turned to face the music.