Found Out

Chapter 24

---Jamie’s POV---

You know the feeling you get when you float on water and you get this rocking motion, that’s what I was feeling . . .

The faint sound of a heart beat played in the background. . .

What was that figure in the distance . . . ?

My throat felt dry . . . the air was moist and I could feel the water vapor hit it giving it a little relief before it dried again. The thirst hurt . . .

Jamie.

There was a voice calling me. It was too dark, I couldn’t see anything—I couldn’t feel anything. Was that wrong? Had I simply died? Was this limbo . . . ?

Jamie.

The voice was calling me again. This time it sounded more familiar . . . Valerie maybe . . . where was she . . . ? The darkness was getting thicker; it hurt my eyes to look. Slowly the atmosphere began growing lighter and lighter until I could see the ceiling of my room. A strong scent was carried along a non-existent wind current and it made me turn my head to the side.  It was Valerie. She was standing by my door peering in at me. Her face lit up when she caught me looking at her.

“Wow, you know you’ve been sleeping for a whole two days?” She exclaimed. “Anyway,” She ran down the hall and into her room. She stayed in there for no more than ten seconds before appearing at my door again, “look what I did in Art class.” She said, beaming proudly at the colourful canvas that she was now holding. I sat up to get a better look and that was when she sprinted across the room however as her foot hit the carpet it slid, pulling her to the ground. I sighed. Couldn’t she have been more careful? I stared down at her impatiently.

“It wasn’t my fault.” She protested with tears in her eyes. “And it really hurts, look I’m bleeding.” She whined.

I sighed again, threw off the sheets and went and knelt next to her. “Here, let me see.”

The crimson liquid that slowly oozed from her skinned knee was calling me—it was! The metallic scent filled my nose and had me from the first whiff. That dry feeling in my throat came back. I could feel something that tasted sour in my mouth—something that was supposed to be saliva but probably much more acidic . . . I don’t know.

Before I knew what was going on I had Valerie held against the wall; I had gripped her by her throat. In my head I was screaming to myself to put her down but my body wouldn’t respond. She began screaming but my eyes soon brought that to a whisper. She was saying something about Mom . . . she wanted her mommy . . . I think . . .

Without my consent my neck pushed my head forward and soon I could feel the warm honey running down my throat. There was an involuntary sucking motion that I couldn’t control, and it just kept delivering more of that savory poison.

The sudden wind alerted me to someone in my room. I flashed around in time to miss the swift motion of Mom’s hand as it swung towards me. She grabbed Valerie from my grasp and held her close.

“Jamison, stop!” She shouted. “Get a grip on reality.” She ordered.

I don’t know why but I actually rushed forward and snarled at her! What the hell?! Rage burnt in her eyes and she pushed me half way across the room. That knocked me right back into focus. There was no longer a strong pulsing motion in the sides of my head and I could think clearly again. Looking down at Valerie I saw fear—no terror in her eyes. She tried hiding behind Mom who was now in a defensive position in front of her. Her bleeding neck made my eyes bulge. Had I done that . . . ? Mom straightened when she saw me stand down.