What The Heart Wants

Chapter 27

There was darkness everywhere . . . I stretched my hand out before me but I couldn’t see it. The silence . . . it was deafening . . . it hurt my ear . . .

The phrase silent as a grave could have come into play here especially considering how I got here . . . was it true . . . was I really dead though . . . ? Was this what death felt like, or was it that I was a vampire and there was no death for me but this place came close enough . . . ? I was finally safe from him . . . they say that death is the ultimate peace and I guess I was about to find out just how much truth there was to that statement.

In the distance I could hear a faint beat. It kept getting louder and louder but it never sped up the beat was simply a melancholic one. It was depressing to listen but I had a feeling there was no escaping it. Soon I could see a light. It wasn’t very big, in fact it looked no bigger than a small tennis ball once it got close enough for me to reach out and touch it.

You are safe now, I will never beat again.

What was it talking about . . . ?

I had come to realize that the beating was coming from it. It was like a heart beat . . .

“What are you?” I asked cautiously.

I am your heart’s beat and I will never start again. The world outside is much too cruel and I must protect you. Here you will be safe, here your body cannot destroy itself . . . here no one can harm you . . .

I found myself smiling, that actually sounded lovely. The safety I wanted; I found it.

---Demetrius’ POV---

I walked through hall after hall, trying to remain focus on my task of finding either Scarlett or Phoenix. I didn’t have time to think about her or what she had said. She had made it very plain. She never loved me and that was all there was to it. No matter how hard I wanted to tell myself that she was lying I couldn’t because nothing she had said was a lie; there was only the blatant truth that I hadn’t been aware of until now. It was fine, I wouldn’t be affected, I simply wouldn’t love her either that way there would be no hurt. I would make sure that it never hurt.

I couldn’t understand it. How could she have led me on? It wasn’t so much that she did but that she got away with it. I should have heard a lie somewhere along the line but there were none . . . why didn’t I see this coming. Surely there must have been some warning sign that I missed, but how could I? My skills were as sharp as ever. I hadn’t unknowingly lowered anything . . . how was she able to lie . . . ?

It seemed she had planned to play a very interesting game from the very start but I wasn’t willing to play. I wouldn’t love her anymore if that’s what she wanted.

The entrance to the king’s throne room was just ahead and I could hear him inside. I was about to dismiss it as nothing important when I heard him mention Scarlett’s name. I stop abruptly and listened keenly.

“Alexiel, I’m sorry but we’ve lost too many servants, it’s either she calms down or we’ll have to kill her.” I heard him explain. What?! No! He couldn’t! It was Alexiel’s fault that she had gone savage!

“But father—“ He tried.

“No buts.” The Queen said firmly. “She’s just too wild and much too untamed. Quell her or we’ll have no choice but to kill her, she’s behaving as a murdering would and we have laws against that.”

No . . . this couldn’t be happening . . . Scarlett . . .

I had to save her. They couldn’t kill her for something that wasn’t her fault. Argh! Why was everything turning out like this?! When did things get this messy?!