Not Such A Bad Guy

Chapter 22

---Jamie’s POV---

The darkness was slowly fading and my senses were coming back to me slowly. What had happened? I felt as if I had been hit over the head with something.

Demetrius . . . he was saying something . . . he let me get hurt for his sister . . . I didn’t understand.

My eyes slowly opened and I found myself lying on my bed with Demetrius leaning over to look at me. I blinked twice then tired sitting up. What was he doing here? “What happened?” I mumbled while rubbing the back of my head. I was having a major headache.

“You fainted then I brought you home.” He said leaning away and sitting straight in chair he had pulled over to the bed from my study table. As he said that an idea hit me.

“Well if I fainted then technically I slept which means you can hunt now.” I said hopefully. Maybe now he would stop hurting himself.

“Actually you fainted for about 3 minutes so it couldn’t possibly count.”

“Oh yeah? Then why don’t I remember how I got home?” I challenged. Clearly I had been out long enough for him to consider it sleep.

He sighed patiently. “Because you were unconscious the whole time. After I brought you back here you passed out again and as soon as I put you in the bed and drew up a chair you woke up hence you asking questions.” He got up from the chair, pulled it back to the desk then headed to the balcony door. No I didn’t want him to leave just yet . . .

“You’re leaving already?” I still had questions.

“No, I’m just going to the balcony.”  He said casually before disappearing outside.

I threw off the covers immediately and hurried out there. I found him leaned against the railing just looking out. Cautiously I made my way over to him and stood next to him. For a moment we just stood in silence as I tried to follow his gaze. When he didn’t bring up the topic I decided that I would.

“So . . .” How did I ask this . . . ? “You mean to say that you . . . allowed me to get—to get raped to save your sister from marrying the Prince?”

“That’s correct,” he said in a monotonous voice. His tone matched the cold breeze that was blowing gently; I wasn’t which of the two sent a shiver down my spine. “though now I wish I hadn’t agreed to that.” He let out in one breath.

“Why is that?”

“Because that wretched creature is still going to marry her.” His tone was now filled with nothing but bitter disgust. I found myself moving closer to him until I could feel the warmth of his arm against mine. He looked down at me searching for something, assurance maybe.

“Well it was a noble thing to do for your sister I guess . . .” I told him. “I’m only sorry it was done in vain.”

“Yeah, me too.” He muttered, looking out again.

“There’s one thing I don’t get though.”

“What’s that?”

“Why didn’t you want her to marry him?” I thought that if I could understand that then maybe the betrayal wouldn’t have been such a bitter pill to swallow. I just wanted him to give me some super reason so I could whole heartedly forgive him instead of just repeating those hollow words in my mind. I wanted him to prove that he wasn’t a bad guy, that he was the same Demetrius that would me with his childish arrogance and charm. His body tensed against mine but he didn’t look down at me again.