The Prince

Chapter 21

---Demetrius POV---

I walked back into the house trying to figure out what Caspian had been implying. I was almost positive that Jamie was a human and in fact I would have been 100% positive if it wasn’t for the lie he had just told me. But if she wasn’t a Human then what else could she have been because she certainly didn’t smell like anything mythical that I had ever encountered, she had a plain scent—as plain as appetizing went anyway.

As I got to the phone it began to ring. I let it ring twice more before I answered it with the customary greeting.

“State your name and reason for calling.”

There was a long pause that made me roll my eyes with impatience. I was sure that my instructions were quite clear. After about another minute someone spoke.

“Um . . . it’s Raymond, Jamie’s father; of course you probably already knew that, anyway could you tell Jamie that she needs to get home now.”

“Sure.” I said then I hung up. I didn’t care to hear anything else that he had to say. In my opinion, that man was an idiot. I never particularly liked him because of the way he acted; he just came off as really high strung to me. As the phone hit its base Jamie made her way down the last stair. I looked to her and saw nothing out of the ordinary. She almost had that casual look about her that she used to have; no doubt she was probably unconscious again . . . or maybe seeing him was she shock she needed and she was now waking up.

“Your father wants you home now.” I told her and she made her way to the kitchen. She paused and thought about what I had said for about a minute.

“Okay, follow me.” She said now heading for the door. I sighed. Now she wanted me to follow her. It wasn’t a problem I guess because he was still out there somewhere and he might have volunteered to do it if I hadn’t. I walked out right behind her but soon got into step with her. We walked in silence until we hit the road.

“So does this mean I’m forgiven?” I asked casually. I didn’t want to push myself unto her but I had to know seeing as how she now trusted me enough to let me walk with her again.

“Hm?” She said looking up at me as if my sentence had just registered in her head. “Yeah, I guess it does—hey you can go hunt now!” She said with a new found enthusiasm. Where had she gotten her logic? Yes she wasn’t lying but that didn’t mean that I was just going to hunt, not yet anyway.

“No.” I said indifferently.

“”Why?” She demanded. “You need to take care of yourself.” Well wasn’t she one to talk.

“I will when you start taking care of yourself.” I told her. She wasn’t sleeping and it was affecting her. As soon as her head hit a pillow and stayed there for at least half the night I wasn’t going to allow even a drop of blood to pass my throat, reason being that it was my fault that she wasn’t sleeping and until I corrected that I couldn’t allow myself any of the simple pleasures in life.

“And just what do you mean by that?”

“You need to sleep.” I said getting to the point; no use beating around the bush.

“That’s easier said than done so just go hunt.” She told me but I wasn’t buying that.

“No.” I said, in a tone as stubborn as her expression. I nearly pulled a sharp stop as I could have sworn that she had growled at me. I wasn’t even sure if she realized that she had but she had actually growled at me! I opted to change the subject quickly.

“So I see that you’ve taken a liking to Caspian.” I said, trying the hide the bitter contempt in my voice. The blood in her cheeks only threw the burning coals I had been avoiding on my head.