I Shouldn't Pity You!!!

Chapter 15

The next morning I walk into a normal scene in my homeroom. Everyone was talking to someone and no one seemed to have a care in the world. It made me sigh as I thought of the fact that I used to be just like them. I used to be able to smile . . . I missed those days.

As I got to my seat I noticed something strange. Sarah was crying. Now if any of you knew her like I did you would have been just as shocked. Sarah never cried . . . ever—well except once in the third grade when Matthew stole her stuffed bear that she used to hide in her locker. This was truly a rare occurrence. I wondered what could have been wrong. Had her father died, or was it something wrong with her mother?

“Sarah . . . what’s wrong . . . ?” I asked resting my hand on her shoulder comfortingly.

“Oh Jamie it’s awful. . . they—my parents want us to move. . .”

“What?! When?! Where?! Why?!” I asked each as they came to my head. This really was terrible. We were supposed to stay together we were like sisters. How could her family just decide that they wanted to move? This wasn’t fair. Why was all this happening to me? Hadn’t I had enough?! What had I even done to deserve this?

“We’re moving to Ireland, either this evening or tomorrow—they didn’t even bother to tell me any of this! How is this fair?!” She asked now gazing up at me with sad yet scared eyes. She didn’t want to go either. “They won’t even tell me why. Everytime I ask Dad he just up and changes his damn excuse. None of them will give me a straight answer.”

“Wha—but Ireland is so far!”

“I Know!”

“Okay, um don’t worry about it, I’ll think of something. I won’t lose you. We’re friends to the end.”

“Okay but whatever you’re going to do hurry.”

From the corner of my eyes I caught Cassidy walk in with her brother. “I’ll be right back.” I had a great idea that involved a lie detector. She nodded then I hurried over to the two. As I got to them I looked Cassidy in the eye while completely ignoring her brother. “Cassidy I need your help.”

“Sure, what’s the problem?” She asked curiously.

“Sarah is being forced to move and her parents just keep lying to her about the reason behind it.” I explained before catching my breath again.

“So you want Cassidy to find out what the real reason is so you can think of a solution?” Demetrius asked, trying to understand. I turned to him sharply and was about to yell at him to mind his own business but instead I gasped. He was bruised all over. Every bruise that he received the day before was still very much there and very much present. He hadn’t tried to heal any of them . . .

“Why are your bruises still so visible?” I asked in a near whisper. Why did I even care?

“He’s letting them heal on their own so he can conserve on the little energy that he has left.”

“Oh.” So it was all him. “Anyways can you?” I asked now turning back to her. He could do whatever he wanted.

“I don’t know . . . Demetrius is better in that field than I am. I hear the truth but he hears the lies.”

“I would be more than happy to help you Jamie.” He said stepping forward as if he was some kind of gentleman.

“Well I didn’t ask for your help, now butt out.” I said. I didn’t need his help.

“Jamie that wasn’t nice.” Cassidy pointed out.

“Yeah? Well neither was handing me over to a rapist.” I answered rather cynically.