I'll Take Your Bullet

Chapter 16

After the little incident in the cafeteria Demetrius made himself scarce around the compound. I mean even though I wasn’t directly looking for him I should have atleast run into him once or twice but no such luck. I knew he didn’t go home because Cassidy said she had seen him hanging around the gym but I couldn’t understand why he would have just withdrawn himself like that. Being alone and all withdrawn like that didn’t suit him; he was meant to be one of those popular guys that everyone liked even if I hated him.

At the end of the day I sighed in defeat as Sarah and I walked out to the parking lot. I hadn’t been able to think of any way to help her and so now she was going to move and I would never see her again. Argh! If only Cassidy wasn’t being so hard headed. I was sure that she could have helped me, she probably just didn’t want to. If that as her way of getting me to talk to her brother then she could have forgotten it because it didn’t make me feel any more inclined to talk to him than I did before.

As we got to our usual spot I saw Sarah’s parents’ car pull into the school. She sighed. “Well I guess this will be the last time we see each other . . .”

“Yeah . . . looks like it. . .” I said, feeling broken because of the fact that there was nothing I could do to change the current reality.

“Hey I’m really sorry things didn’t work out between you and Demetrius, you two made a cute couple.” She said reminiscently as she waited for the car to get closer.

“What are you talking about . . . ? We were never together.” I stated, alittle creeped by her statement. How could I have ever been with someone who would have hurt me like that? The very thought was preposterous.

“Really?” She asked, clearly shocked. “Well that can’t be good.”

“What?”

“There’s been talk going around the school that you two had even planned to get married right after high school. You know come to think of it that would have explained why you never mentioned it. Hm, oh well, you know how our class loves any form of news—or well, your class seeing as how I won’t be going here anymore.” She said as her mood slowly sunk. The car honked and she looked over at it slowly.  “I guess I have to go now . . .” She stretched forth her hand and pulled me into a hug. ‘I’m really going to miss you Jamie, you’re the bestfriend a girl could have . . .” Tears began stinging me at the corners of my eyes. I didn’t want her to go. She was the only one who was willing to talk to me when I first moved her. We shared everything. She was the sister I always wanted—believe me if I could have traded Valerie for her I would have in a heartbeat.

As we pulled away from each other Demetrius made his entrance. We both looked at him. Who had invited him?

“Sarah can you get your father to come outside for a sec?” He asked casually

“Um sure . . . If I stand her long enough I guess he’ll get impatient and come get me . . . why?”

“Uh I need to have a quick word with him—just stand there.” Sarah sighed but did as she was told. The three of us stood staring at each other and everything else for about another five minutes before the door to the driver’s side opened and her father hurried out and over to us. He seemed to be a hurry and after seeing Demetrius his pace hastened even more.

“Honey what’s taking you so long? We need to get to the airport early, I thougth we already discussed this.” He urged. Sarah opened her mouth to speak but Demetrius cut her off.

“Aww, leaving so soon. I’m really going to miss her.” He said reminiscently before looking over at Sarah’s dad with playful eyes that said he was in on a secret that no one else would know. “So I guess you’re going to tell me that you’re leaving on business, huh Santos?”