Chapter 2

After a few hours I woke up from my little nap in the car to a diner we pulled up at.

We all walked in and took a seat at a booth. I sat next to Rachel, as Dick sat across from us. I know Rachel thinks I should be afraid of her but I really am not. I understand her more than she thinks. She is just a girl who doesn't understand herself and her powers, not a monster.

"You want hot chocolate or something?" Dick asked the two of us. "Just coffee, black." Rachel answered. I looked over to her and didn't question it, after the night we had I think she needs it. "Same" I said as I turned and faced Dick.

"I bet they have marshmallows" Dick said, "I'm not a kid, okay." Rachel snapped back. I agreed with her, she wasn't a kid, maybe she seemed like one but she didn't act like one for sure.

The waitress took our order and walked away as Rachel said, "My mom didn't like me to drink coffee." We both chuckled at her comment

"Rachel, has anything like that happened before?" I asked "No, not like that," Rachel answered, "I didn't mean to kill that guy."

I gave Rachel a side hug of comfort, I knew she didn't mean to kill him and I could tell Dick didn't either.

"We're gonna go see some old friends of mine. They're safe." Dick said, breaking the silence. "They'll give us a place to lie low for a second, get our heads together, figure out what to do next." Dick added, "You're scared. I get it, but sometimes, there is no time to be scared."

I rolled my eyes at his comment, there is always a time to be scared and when you have dangerous powers it is way higher.

I could see Rachel starting to get a little freaked out. "Hey, no one's gonna get you. Okay? I promise and Dick promises too." I turned to Dick as he nodded his head.

After sitting down for a little, Dick drove us to a nearby hotel for the night. I sat by Rachel watching Game of Thrones.

"Hey, you two want pizza?" Dick asked us throwing on his jacket. "Okay" Rachel answered while I nodded my head yes

"Anything on it" Dick added, me and Rachel didn't hear him, we just enjoyed our sweets on the bed. "Don't let anyone in."

"What about you?" I said sarcastically "Is that game of thrones? Should you be watching that?" Dick asked us, ignoring my question. Both me and Rachel turned our heads giving the yes it is, now leave us alone look.

"Just don't get pineapple on it." Rachel yelled, "Obviously" both me and Dick said, "jinx!" I yelled at him as he left the room.

"Hey, where are you going?" I asked Rachel as she left the bedroom, ignoring my question Rachel walked out to Dick'a briefcase. "Ooo, looking through a cops briefcase, I like it." I said as I walked over to Rachel.

"Locked" Rachel stated as she tried to open it up, then moved to his other briefcase. "Wow, that's cool, a computer in a briefcase, I am definitely going to get myself one of those." I said I walked over to Rachel

"Me next" I said as Rachel started to look up her name. "Hey, maybe we should stop, I don't want to read those lies people put out. I said as Rachel found articles about her mother's death.

Ignoring my statement again, she searched up the circus incident that killed Dick's parents, I didn't really know much about the situation as I didn't feel comfortable asking him a million questions about it.

Bruce Wayne the article said, no way I am hanging out with a kid that was adopted by a billionaire, holy shit, I thought.

Seconds later, I found that we both ended up watching a video clip from that night.

I spaced out from the clips looking over a young kid that looked like he was Dick. All I could think about was that I was the same way when both my parents died. Me and Dick had a lot more in common than I thought and I wanted to sob right then and there not just for Dick but for my worst night of my life as well. I couldn't though, Rachel is going through a hell of a lot worse and I need to be there for her not the other way around.

All of a sudden a paper was printing out of the computer, showing a certificate for something and the man Rachel had accidentally killed that night. I reached over her head, grabbing the paper and pulling it away from her. I'm sure she didn't want to see that man dead and then blaming herself for his death.

As I grabbed the paper she freaked out over something scaring her and then started yelling. "Hey hey hey, talk to me what happened" I reassured her

She would let me grab her and calm her down all she did was draw a bunch of crosses on paper and told me to back off. I just stood and watched, I really wanted to help her but I didn't want her to freak out anymore than she already is.

After a few minutes Dick walked in, I was relieved, I didn't really know what to do. Dick walked into the bathroom we were in. I was in front of the bathtub trying to give Rachel a hug but kept backing me off. "Rachel, Ember. What happened?" Dick asked.

"I don't know what happened something with the picture out there and then she started to freak out and I don't know what to do, she won't let me near her." I answered

"No, don't touch me. I don't want it getting out." Rachel sobbed. Dick ignored her, pulling her into a hug. I felt really bad for her, all I could think about was what was trying to get out.

I wrapped my arms around both Dick and Rachel, joining in on the hug. "You're okay, nothing bad is going to happen okay." Both me and Dick said reassuring Rachel.

After a few minutes we let go of the hug, then went to bed. Rachel and I shared the bed since I didn't want her to be alone. I don't know if she got any sleep to be honest, I sorta did since I was worried about her the whole night and also having dreams about the video I saw of Dick and all I could think about was me and my reaction to my parents death.

*About 5 years ago*

"Nooooo" I screamed from my hospital bed, my parents were dead as I sat here in a bed perfectly fine, yea I had a few bruises and scrapes, but I was okay but my parents were dead.

Everyone stared at me as I screamed my lungs out, so much I couldn't talk for a week or maybe it was because I just didn't want to talk to anyone.

I could tell everyone in the hospital felt bad for me but they didn't get it. Did their parents die when they were 13, ruining their whole lives and now they have to grow up and "live" life without them in it, no they didn't.

*Present*

As we walked out of the hotel room the next morning, I walked over to Dick giving him a hug. Even though I didn't know much about him, I felt as though I knew everything.

"I'm sorry" I mumbled, "For what?" He asked.

"For your parents death," I said as I pulled away from the hug, "I know exactly how you feel, and just watching that video made me realize that." I could tell Dick was hiding his emotions as he walked away giving me a small smile and mouthing the words "Thank you"

I gave him a smile back following both him and Rachel to his car. I finally found someone who understood me and got that pain that I felt that horrible night the years after it.