Chapter 6

I walked into the main church room to see Rachel sitting by herself, reading a book. I sat next to her as I gave her a little smile, trying to boost her mood. "Hey you, okay?" I asked. "Yeah, just going through a lot right now that's all" she answered.

I gave her a little side hug when Dick came walking over to us standing a few seats away. "Rachel" he said, with a sorry tone. Rachel looked up from her book for the first time since I got there. "I don't know what to do"

"What set you off? Were you scared?" Dick asked. I just crossed my arms, off course she was scared have you seen what she has been through and what she can do, i thought

"Was I scared? I'm always scared" i rubbed her back with my hand trying to calm her down and comfort her, i was scared for her, so i can't imagine what she must be feeling

"Listen, I need you to start," Dick started, "what? Trust you? Other people can help. Is that it?" rachel interrupted

"Not they cant," she continued, I thought as I turned my head to face her with a sad look. "They'll just make promises. But in the end, they'll fail. They'll all leave...just like you, At least Ember tried to stay she wanted to stay but then you tried to separate us"

I gave rachel a hug trying to comfort her the best i could without crying myself, that's when i realized rachel wanted me with her, someone wanted me. Being in foster homes my whole life I have had lots of families leave me, send me back or just not want me, so i knew what it was like to have no one there for you and to not have anyone want you.

"Yeah, you're right." Dick finally said, shocking us both, and breaking our hug. "What?" we both asked.

Dick took a seat in the row in front of us and turned to face us both, "You're on your own. No one can help you. Not really."

"Dick" I said with concern. The more he talked the more I wanted to punch him in the face. He then shushed me and put his finger up. I stared at him in shock, two times he has shushed me the past few days, rude, I thought.

"I was just like you once. I thought if I leaned on someone, if I trusted them, all the pain would go away." Dick started, "But I was wrong. Anyone that tells you any differently is lying. The loss is here for good now. There's no getting over it." He continued as I faced my head to the floor before I started to tear up in front of them. I understood everything he was saying more than I should have.

All this holding up of tears has finally hit me when I met Rachel and Dick . I am not an emotional person, it only really hits me after a while or I just hold it in until it explodes and I have a breakdown of months of pain. Not saying they are the cause but before them I would stay strong for myself to keep going or for the little kids I would save or the ones who would look up to me as a hero and not some broken, homeless, 18 year old girl with no family left.

"But you can control it. You can channel it. No one else can do that for you. Just you." Dick continued bringing me back from my thoughts.

Dick started to walk away when Rachel stopped him, "I think I need to stay here awhile, okay?"

"Yeah, sure" Dick said as he walked out of the room,

"You okay?" Rachel asked after seconds of silence, "yeah I'm fine." I gave her a fake smile. "Your lying, you know you can't lie to me" rachel stated

"Yeah, but we are here for you and not for me , okay, so I should be the one to ask the questions, are you okay?"

"I am" she answered, "are you staying too?" she asked

"Yea, one I need to stay for you cause we both know Dick cant take care of you and Kory doesn't even know who she is, and these nunsIi don't really trust, idk they just give me weird vibes,like they are hiding something from us. No offense, I just don't trust people I barely know."