Chapter 10

"I still can't believe you traded in a Porsche for a minican" Gar said as we pulled up to a motel.

We have been driving for a few hours. I tried to take a nap or two but ended up having dreams about my family. Yes they were nice but I don't know if I am ready to keep dreaming about them and then realizing it's a dream and not reality.

"Yea, Dick, I mean more room and all but seriously why, you could've just given it to me." I joked. I looked at the mirror at the front of the car locking eyes with Dick as he just rolled them at my comment.

"I like the van," Kory said with a happier tone than I expected. "We're not actually staying here, are we?" Rachel said with disgust as we all turned our attention to the motel in front of us.

"You know, there's probably a nicer place down the road." Kory added. "It isn't terrible, believe me I've stayed in worse places." I said which caused everyone to stare at me in confusion.

I just shrugged as Dick continued. "Thank you, we're being hunted by sociopaths. Nicer places draw attention."

"Yeah. Well, they also make it easier to sleep." Kory argued. "One road in. Same road out. Only one point of access we have to watch. And also.." Dick started, "it's quiet. Trouble comes our way, we should hear it first. And who said anything about sleeping?" Dick added as he left the car to get our rooms.

"I mean he has a point. I am not sleeping when a psycho family is out to get us. I am trying to not get killed in my sleep here people." I said as everyone stared at me with even more confusion. Personally I thought I had a good point.

Everyone got out of the car as Dick walked back with 5 keys to our room. We all went into our separate rooms. I picked the room between Gar and Rachel that way if needed I could run to each room fast. Dick and Kory chose the two rooms next to us.

I sat in my room putting both hands on my head, destressing from the hectic few days I have had. I heard a knock on my door, "Come in" I called out as Rachel made her way into her room.

She sat next to me on the bed putting her hand on top of mine which was laying on the bed. Then she gave me a hug out of the blue. "I thought you needed one." She said, she must have felt what I was feeling or saw what I kept seeing.

"Thanks I did." I said as I hugged her back. "Are you okay by the way?" I asked as I pulled away from the hug. She just nodded her head as Gar also walked into the room after I called him to come in.

"Dick's here with the pizza by the way." He said as Dick and Kory walked in with pizza in their hands. They set the pizza down and immediately Gar, Rachel and I took a slice of pizza from the box.

"All right, guys. Listen up. We're all in one piece, more or less." Dick said breaking the silence, I nodded my head in agreement as he continued, "We need to figure out where we stand and determine what's mission critical."

"Mission critical? Is that a cop thing? It sounds like a cop thing." Gar asked, I laughed at his comment as Dick just gave us both a stare of annoyance. "I had some combat training when I was younger."

"And he's a cop." Both me and Rachel said at the same time causing us to laugh but were stopped when Kory talked for the first time since coming into the room. "I'm sorry, you were referring to, we?"

"We, as of right now, are a group of people who share a common enemy." Dick stated, "Which makes us what?" I asked

After a few seconds of silence Dick spoke again, "Let's call it an alliance. One born of mutual need."

"And what is that?" Kory asked, "To stay alive. We have no idea how long we have until they find us." Dick answered annoyed with all the questions.

"You just said they. Who are they? What do they want?" Gar asked, looking around for an answer. "We don't know who they are. But they want me." Rachel answered.