Chapter 8

"Hey, get your hands off of me" I yelled at the robot grabbing both me and Rachel out of the closet and brought us upstairs.

"Come on, Cliff, It's all right, man. They're cool." Gar told the robot.

"I know, and they listen to all the right music and they're just awesome." Cliff said sarcastically back. I just rolled my eyes at his comment. "And make them go"

"What is this place?" Rachel asked the two, "Yea, and who are you people?" I added as I walked around the big room.

"Chief calls us conventionally challenged. And this place is–" Gar started. "You need to go home, kids"

"Nope" I said as I kept my position and crossed my arms, Cliff just looked at me with an annoyed look, "Are you a robot? Or.." Rachel asked the man

Cliff just groaned, "Here we go." I just laughed to myself as he looked at me which made me stop.

"He's a robotman." Gar said, I just stared at shock, "Sick," I said as I looked over to Rachel who was distracted by the extravagant room. "Oh, fuck me." Cliff said which brought my attention back to the two.

"Cliff was a race car driver. A pretty famous one, too. He got into a bad accident. His body was pretty much kaput. Chief managed to save his brain." Gar said before he knocked on his head, I laughed, "Knock it off." Cliff said in annoyance.

"What little there was left." Gar said as he just stared at Cliff. "Hey. they gotta go before the chief gets home." Cliff said, ignoring our presences.

I coughed, grabbing their attention back to the people they were talking about. "Who's the Chief?" Rachel asked, "Actually, yes, that's a very good question Rachel." I said as I looked over to Rachel and back to the two.

"Oh. Well, he's the greatest doctor in the world. Saved all of us." Gar answered. "All of you?" Rachel asked, "Who else lives here?" I added

"Well, there's.." Gar started before Cliff dragged him away from Rachel and I. I couldn't hear much but I knew they were talking about us. I turned my head to face Rachel as I raised my shoulders in confusion. Then I got an idea, "Come on" I whispered to Rachel as I dragged her out of the room.

They were too busy talking to realize we left to explore the giant house. After walking for a minute we reached a door, where there was music blasting. Me and Rachel walked to the door and looked through the little window. I smiled as I watched the man dance around the kitchen making what looked like a great meal.

Rachel opened the door as we both walked into the room. "Hey. Wow. Show's over." Cliff said as he grabbed both of our shoulders. "Jesus, you have got to stop doing that." I said as I turned to face Cliff.

The man who was cooking walked over to the radio and lowered the music. "Who are they?"

"The blue haired one is Rachel and the redhead is Ember." Gar answered. I gave a small smile and a little wave to the man.

"I was just showing them out." Cliff demanded. "Out?" the man asked, I put my hand out agreeing with him, Thank you, I thought.

"Before Chief gets back." Cliff added, from the sounds of it the Chief doesn't sound like a great guy and someone we should be scared off, but he was a doctor, right.

"Are you invisible under there?" Rachel asked the guy, "Wouldn't that be nice?" I just stared at him in confusion but was interrupted in thought.

"How do you like your steak? Unless you're a vegan, which would break my heart." The bandaged man asked, I just chuckled.

"They're not staying for dinner, Larry." Cliff said with even more annoyed than before, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed, I thought.

"It'll be fine. Chief if gone until tomorrow. And even with Rita we have plenty of food." Larry spoke, "And we are both very hungry." I said as I looked over to Cliff with pleading eyes.