Chapter 14

I leaned against the desk next to Jason watching Dick struggle with the password of the computer. "You mind?" Dick asked Jason.

"Sure thing." Jason walked over to the computer typing the correct password in. "Boom"

Dick searched up a man and found many pictures and information about him. I stepped closer to the computer on the other side of Jason watching the screen. "Phone bill paid last month, utilities on. Looks like he's still alive." Dick said in relief.

I looked at the screen, seeing how much information the computer could give you with just a name.

Dick dialed the number on the screen and seemed to not get an answer since he immediately put his phone down. "Milwaukee's only an hour and a half from here. I gotta go make sure he's safe."

Dick got up from the seat and started to walk away but was interrupted by Jason, "We're going on a road trip. Excellent." Jason said with joy and I smiled along with him, also wanting to go.

"Not us, me. Look, I appreciate you bringing this to me. I really do. But there is no reason for either of you to come. This is personal. You're Bruce's Robin. Not mine." Dick demanded.

"No, I'm my Robin." Jason demanded back. "I don't need your guy's help." Dick said, staring at the two of us. "You did back at that apartment." Jason joked.

"I mean you did, we did." I agreed while getting a death stare from Dick. But we were interrupted when the monitor beeped. Moving all of our attention to the screen.

Jason clicked the screen to reveal Gar, Kory and Rachel at the elevator. I smiled and laughed watching them look at the camera.

Jason and I stayed back as Dick went to get the others. Jason and I sat down on the couch waiting and drinking our brews.

When the group walked in we both got up from our seats and walked over. I stood next to Jason crossing my arms, getting ready from the introductions to start all over again.

"Who are your friends?" Jason asked Dick, "Not important." Dick answered.

"Who's he?" Kory asked, "Not important." Dick answered again, more annoyed this time.

"Anybody want a brew?" Jason asked the group. I laughed, taking a sip of my own. "Yeah, I do." Gar said taking a step closer but was blocked by Dick.

"No, he doesn't. No one wants a brew." Dick said annoyed with everyone. "That can't be Adamson." Kory questioned.

"He's not Adamson." Dick answered, "Adamson's in the bathroom. Unconscious." I said speaking for the first time.

Rachel walked over to us ignoring Dick and his annoyed attitude. "Hi, I'm Rachel." She introduced, "Jason" He said ready to shake her hand but was interrupted by Dick.

"Okay. Who we all are doesn't matter right now. Can we just chill, out, relax, sit on the couch and watch TV or something?" Dick said, pissed off at us.

Gar spoke up from behind the table looking at the briefcases, I assume. "You, when did you get another one?" He called out. "That one's mine." Jason smiled back.

"Yours? Wait, your Robin, too?" Gar asked. "I thought you were Robin." Rachel questioned as she walked over to Gar.

"I am" Dick exclaimed, "He was," both me and Jason said at the same time. Dick turned his head giving us both another death stare.

"Okay. How many Robins are there? Are there a lot? Cause I would love to–" Gar rambled, "Okay, quiet. Sit." Kory interrupted.

Rachel and Gar followed her orders and sat down. "Bathroom" Kory spoke to Dick, the two left towards the bathroom and left the four of us on our own.

"Can I be Robin?" Gar whispered, enough for me to hear. I laughed as me and Jason took a seat on the couch.

We all sat there waiting for Kory and Dick to come out of the bathroom. We were silent for the most part, made jokes every once in a while but stopped when Dick came out of the bathroom.

We all stood up from where we were sitting."We're leaving." Dick said, "What do you mean we?" Jason asked, "I mean you two are coming with me." Dick said, walking over to the elevator.

"Yay!" I smiled walking over to the elevator, Jason followed close behind me putting our drinks on the table.

We all got in the car and rode in silence, or at least that's what I think. I fell asleep after the first 10 minutes of driving. I was in the back so it didn't matter.

"We're here." Dick said loudly which woke me up. I gave him a death stare in the rearview mirror.

We all got out of the car when Dick continued to speak. "The place is called Corvo. It's some kind of speakeasy. Landlord said he bounces the late shift."

We walked down the street with Jason between Dick and I. "That's too bad. Bouncers are assholes." Jason spoke, I looked at him confused. "Clay's not." Dick demanded, "And how would you know, anyway?"

I nodded my head in agreement, wondering the same thing. "Uncle Ray would take me to bars with him all the time when I was little. Everyone thought it was cute, until it wasn't. He was a fun drunk. Then he'd get stupid. Then he'd start throwing punches. Then the bouncers would kick our asses out."

I looked at him to see that he had no emotion. "Where were your folks?" Dick asked as we continued to walk down the sidewalk. "Mom was upstate. Dad was downstate. Uncle Ray was the man until he OD'd when I was 13." Jason answered.

I looked at him with a sad look, he still had no emotion towards talking about it. "I'm sorry." He just gave me a smile back as Dick asked another question. "Where'd you go?"

"Wherever. Foster care. In and out of the system, then the streets mostly after that." I just laughed slightly to myself, understanding exactly how that was like.

"That's not all bad. I survived. Now, look, man. We're living the dream" Jason joked as we approached the club. We all stopped in front of the door.

Dick walked up and knocked on the door. A man opened the small window. "Clay Williams working tonight?" Dick asked the man. "VIP lounge." The man opened the door to let Dick in.

Jason followed after him but was stopped by the man. He gave him an ID, which was most definitely fake. The man chuckled as he read the ID.

"There a problem?" Jason asked in a serious tone. "Robert Plissken?" The man questioned. I laughed, shaking my head. "Nice try." The man continued.

"Come on, man. Be cool." Jason complained. "Not tonight, Snake." The man said, giving Jason his ID back. "I'm 19." Jason added.

"What about you?" The bouncer asked me. "Nope, 18, left my fake ID at home, sorry." I joked.

"Okay, well, stay here. I'll be right back." Dick said to the both of us as he walked away. The bouncer closed the door, still laughing at the two of us.

I laughed, turning my attention to Jason. "Really that's all you could think of, Robert Plissken?" I questioned. "Oh come on now, you have had to have a fake ID at least once." Jason joked.

"I did, I still do. I just left it back in Detroit. Fake IDs are great, if you know how to use them right." I raised my eyebrows. "That's where you from?" Jason asked.

"Yup, born and raised. This is actually the first time I have been out of Detroit in years. Never had the money to leave and I didn't want to leave my parents." I answered.

We stood in silence staring into each other's eyes, not losing contact. What was I doing, am I starting to like Jason more than a friend, no, right?

"Hey, I've got a plan" I said, grabbing Jason's arm leading him to the side of the building and towards a door. "This is called being smart." I joked leading the way into the building.