Close

Alexandra's POV

After dinner I passed out with Harmony in my arms. It was very delicious. Kai was a very good cook. I got all the rest I needed after everything that happened. When I woke up Harmony wasn't in my arms. I did smell bacon being cooked in the kitchen. I turned over to find Kai and Harmony both watching the bacon sizzle on the open flame. I smiled once I saw them.

"This would have been us and Estevan," said Honey as she whimpered. My smile faded into a frown at the mention of his name. I covered myself with a blanket. I was naked after everything. I was too tired to change and do all that. My bones were burning from the soreness. I sat up feeling even worse from the aching of my own muscles causing me to sit up. My mate wasn't here to be the father that he hoped he always was. It made my heart break knowing this.

Seeing someone look at my daughter who I am also destined to be with instead of her dad hurt me. I still had the ring Estevan was supposed to give me. "Calm down" said Honey as she was whimpering. I started to breathe in and out of my nose. I was fidgeting with the engagement ring that was still on my finger. I never removed it. I had to look away from my daughter and Kai.

I moved my body so my feet were hanging off the couch. I wrapped the blanket around my body. It was finally time to try and stand up. "Mate, maybe you should rest," said Kai. I shook my head no. He turned everything off and placed the bacon on the plate to cool down. My feet were touching the ground. The bottom of my feet felt like I was stepping on knives. I started to wince in pain. Harmony was sitting down at the table. I was about to take a step forward when Kai picked me up bridal style. He didn't touch one of my skin. The blacknet wasn't showing anything.

He walked me to the table. As werewolves we are used to being naked. It is one of our natures. He sat me down by Harmony. I grabbed a fork that he placed down for me. He gave me a smile without saying a word. I knew he didn't want to push any boundaries. I still never told him that he is my second chance mate. I kept my ring hidden from him. I know I can't make things better with having a pup. We all eat in silence. I think Harmony was getting used to this.

"You can stay," said Kai. I looked at him shocked. Harmony was cheering. "You have no idea what it's like with a kid" I said to him, already finding an excuse to leave. Honey knew that I would break and try to kill myself since the mate bond knows my new mate is around. I am being forced to mate with him because of the nature of having a mate. This was bad.

"I'm with wolf pups all the time" he said in a duh tone. I had to laugh at his integrity. That is not how that works. Kids are so much harder when you have them. "That's not the same" I said as I stopped laughing. "Adults with no kids think that" I said as he gave me a look. His brown eyes were looking at me curiously. "What is it like then?" said Kai as he gave her more bacon.

"Just hectic,'' I said, answering honestly. I love my daughter but I get no sleep. Leaving the house is hard. Even hearing kid's songs sounds like you are going crazy. As a mother I have more responsibility. I come second when it comes to me and my daughter. I want her to have better than what I had when I actually was living my best life. Harmony should have a better childhood. I think being with my mate would be better for her. It would keep her safe and hidden.

Since she has a faint pack smell this can probably cover everything from the last time Dexter had smelled her. "If we stayed" I said as I was playing with my food. I kept twirling my fork within the fruit. "Are we making the right choice?" I asked Honey. My eyes were glossed over as we spoke. "He is our mate, he can protect her if we have to run again," said Honey.

"You are right," I said as I watched Kai and Harmony getting along. "If you stayed," asked Kai. He wanted me to explain further. "If we do, can you make me a promise?" I asked him. He gave me a confused look. "Yes, anything" he said as he gave me a nod. I took a deep breath. I couldn't ask Kai to take care of my daughter if anything happened to me.

"It's okay. She will be safe here" said Honey. I took another deep breath again trying to collect my thoughts. I needed to know what to say. "No matter what happens, can you take care of my daughter?" I asked him. "I will take care of both of you," Said Kail with a smile on his face. I shook my head as tears were in my eyes. "No, even when I am not here" I said trying to clarify it. "Where will you be?" asked Kai. "on the run from Dexter" I said, speaking the truth.

As soon as Harmony heard his name she quickly crawled underneath the table to hide. She was terrified of him. She still has bruises all over her chest. "It's okay baby" I said as I had my arms open for her to climb into my arms. Once she knew she was safely in my arms I started to rock her back and forth. I looked at Kai who looked angry. He knew Dexter must be a bad man. I just didn't know what Dexter would do the next time he found us. I was scared of it.