🩸Artificial Sunlight (pt.10)🩸

"FUCK!" Cleodare screeched.

My eyes zapped awake and I quickly rolled off of her lap. She was cowering in pain, teeth clenched, eyes squeezed shut, shaking.

I looked up, a bright light shining in my eyes. I squinted to see Agent Rodriguez holding it, pointing it directly at Cleodare.
My legs sprung up, wobbling as I blocked her with as much of my body as possible.

"Wh-what are you doing?!" I yelled.

I heard her loud moans of despair from behind me. It was horrifying to listen to.

"Are you aware of her vampiric existence?!" He squawked.

I looked behind me to see her body on the ground, the parts of her skin that were still exposed to the light looked like they were melting off. She looked weak and unable to move, curled up on the forest floor.

He pushed past me and pointed the light at her. Cleo wailed in pain.
I shoved him on the ground with all the strength in my body.

"G-GET THE FUCK AWAY FROM HER!" My legs felt like flimsy jelly, barely holding me up as they trembled.

Letting my brain completely take over, I used what little courage I had left to stomp on his stomach. Although he was bigger than me, I was able to snatch the light out of his hand while he flailed.

That was all I could do before he grabbed my foot out from under me and knocked me over.

I gripped onto the light as tightly as I could, holding to my chest. He tried to yank it out of my hands, eyes glowing with fury, I wouldn't have been surprised if they turned red.

With full force, I threw it as far away as I could. Like a little moth, a sucker for flame, he ran after it.

"HELP!" I screamed out towards the trees.

All I heard back was peaceful birds chirping. No sense of urgency in their calm, elegant tweeting.

The sun was starting to come up. I had to get her away from its fresh rays.

Quickly kneeling down, I wrapped my arms around her. A pile of sticky white goo surrounded us. Her melted flesh.

"Cleo?" I whispered.
"We don't have time. He's going to come back." Her voice was low and faltered with each word. She sounded weak.

Suddenly, I saw eyes gleaming out from the deep, dark, depth of the forest. It came closer until I recognized the face.

It was Harper.

I'd seen him when Gwenevieve had had a hold on me back at the vampire base, he'd been snickering at me in the corner. Cleo had told me his name.
I was scared, unsure of what he would do.

Something in my gut told me he wasn't aggressive.

The look in my eyes conveyed worry in all its forms. I looked at him in desperation. He seemed to get it, raising his eyebrows and sighing.

He kneeled down to quickly pick up Cleodare before Rodriguez came back.

I followed him as he ran with Cleo in his arms deep into the forest; her arms were loosely draped around his neck, soft groans escaping her mouth.

Her skin was ever so slowly coming back to form around her bones normally.

We ran so deep into the forest, not even the rising sun could find us.
Harper sat her down against a large tree trunk, then stepped back and crossed his arms.

"Holy shit..." I quickly sat next to her and sweeped her bangs out of her eyes.

Her shaking arms reached out to pull me in closer. I conformed and hugged her tightly, kissing her cheek.