🩸White Coats (pt.58)🩸

~December 20th, 2030~

"I'm so excited!" I exclaimed.

For previous years, we hadn't done anything extreme for Christmas, but this year it was going to be different. Maybe it was because Theo was older now, five years old; or maybe it was just because I'd been feeling so much better. I'd found motivation in myself to decorate the house that I'd never felt before.

Our fake Christmas tree stood between the fireplace we never used and the TV. Twinkling lights hung on it, they glowed a vibrant hue when the lights were turned off. Classical ornaments swayed on each branch. It looked cozy, and it was nice to cuddle with Cleo on the sofa at night and stare at it, the TV playing in the background as we both slowly fell asleep.

Cleo smiled and leaned down to kiss my lips, her hands on my waist as we stood at the bottom of the staircase. I could feel the ecstasy ignite electricity through our bodies as her delicate skin hit mine again.

"I couldn't tell," she hummed.

I happily squealed and ran up the stairs. I had to find a good book to read until it was time to wake the children up. It felt like I never had time to read anymore and get especially focused.

I flipped through my shelf of books that sat next to our closet. It was as tall as the ceiling. The only one that looked appealing, of course, had to be all the way up there.

I groaned.

Suddenly, Cleo came up behind me and held my waist, putting her chin on my shoulder and kissing my neck.

"God, don't do this to me now," I groaned and grabbed her hands, squeezing them as the warmth from her lips on my neck pulsed through my veins.

Her smile pressed against my neck, "Do you need a little help with that?"
There was a cunningness in her voice that made me want to smack the ego out of her.

"Y-yes," I mumbled. "And I am not that short."

"I respectfully disagree," she replied, letting me go. "Which one?"

I ignored the first part. "The very top, the blue one."

"Well that's helpful," she grunted, trying to push her body up as far as it could go, her arm extended.

"Ha, who's the short ass now?"
"You are one hundred and sixty-three centimeters," she groaned, "it's not my fault these ceilings are tall as hell."

"Says little Miss One Seventy-eight," I raised my eyebrows, sitting on the end of our messy bed and grabbing my mug of coffee.

"I want you to be quiet now." She gave a little hop and her fingers hit the bottom of the book. It fell forward, and before it could land on her face, which I would've laughed at, she caught it and tossed it to me with an eye roll.

I just set my cold cup of coffee to the side as I fell back into the covers with a happy sigh.

As I flipped open to the first page, I turned to look at Cleo, who was crawling in beside me.

"How does it feel being tall?" I asked. "I mean, not that I'm short, or anything."
She squinted, "You don't want me to answer. It might diminish that little ego you have."

"Oh, I have an ego?"

She smiled, playfully raising her eyebrows.

I scoffed, "Yeah, you're probably right."

I noticed as I read in silence, that she was being especially clingy. But I didn't care, I thought it was cute. Her head was shoved into my side and I put an arm around her neck, our legs were tangled beneath the fluffy blankets.