🩸Dreaming in Sadness (pt.15)🩸

"Sissy!"

Marionette shakes me awake, I sleepily roll over and force my tired eyes open. Through the darkness I can see her petrified pupils staring back at me.

I lazily reach over for the lamp and turn it on.
"Okay, come up here." I mumble, patting the spot next to me.

She nods and crawls up onto the bed, curling around me. I begin to stroke her hair and she softly cries into my pajamas.

"Mother made cookies, Mari,"
"Really?" She beams, her tears quickly coming to a stop.

My head bounces, "You know what that means."

Marionette looks up at me with a small smile and quickly fights her way up, wobbling as she stands.

We make our way downstairs, hoping our parents can't hear the light creaking of the sleek wooden stairs. Her hand trails down the railing, making somewhat of a harmonic sound as her legs run her down the stairs.

I lift her onto the counter with a grunt and her short legs dangle off. Grabbing the plastic container which holds the peanut butter cookies, I yank the lid off and slide the container across the counter to her. She giggles and grabs one out, swinging her legs.

"Almost Christmas time," I say, "what are you wishing for?"
I take one before popping the lid back on, making it look like the container was never touched.

"I really want a pony!" She whispers excitedly, taking a big bite.
"Yeah? What type of pony?"

"A green one, glittery."

"A green...glittery pony?"

"Yep!" She says, taking another bite, the peanut buttery goodness is almost gone.

"What if it's not possible?"
"It is!"

She's always so optimistic, it makes me wish some of the things she says are real.

"Okay, whatever you say," I take a small bite, and the bittersweet flavor melts into my mouth.

As of now, I'm happy.

Not happy Marionette had another nightmare, although if she didn't I wouldn't be eating a peanut butter cookie. But I am jubilant, because I have it way better than a lot of people my age.

As far as I can remember, nothing in my life has ever significantly gone wrong.

I continue to eat in peace and she continues to happily swing her legs, she's finished and staring at me.

"Are you done yet?" She asks.
"Appears not," I answer with another bite.

She sighs dramatically and tilts her head to the side.

"What happened in your dream this time?"
"Oh, there was red juice everywhereee!"

I hesitate, "Blood?"

"Yucky!" She exclaims.

It's strange that her nightmares lately all have to do with something related to blood. I wonder why.

"But you kicked their asses right?"
"YEP! Asses zero, me, one!"

"Don't say that in front of Mother and Father, yeah?"
"Yep!"

I take my final bite and she's quick to leap down from the counter. We both run back upstairs and I tuck her back into bed, kissing her cheek. The light green paint in her recently renovated room brightens it up, even in the dark.