🩸Speak Up (pt.40)🩸

"Cleo?"
"Yes?"

"You know...how we were talking about having another baby?"
"Yes, I do know. I was there, my love."

Melanie was nine months old, learning how to make sounds in attempts to form her first word. Although most doctors recommended a year gap, other things could be done, especially since my birth was easy.

"I-I hope you don't mind...I scheduled an appointment with the midwife,"

"Why would I mind?"

"I don't know. We were just talking. But she wants to make sure I'm ready for another one."

"Come here, babydoll."

I sat next to her, and she pulled me in close.

"Do you remember what I told you about vampire babies?"
"Yes, you briefly said it," I answered quietly, "it would be harder."

"Both mentally and physically, my love. You're human, your body isn't meant to be giving birth to babies so much stronger than you. Especially right now, only nine months after birth.

"I don't want there to be a possibility it is a vampire. I don't want you to have to go through that pain."

"I can do it, Cleo. I signed up for this, I can take it, bubby." I rubbed her hands in mine. "I really want this, I know you want it, too,"

"I don't want you to go through it."

"This is the only way." I whispered.

"I-I don't need my baby to be a vampire to be happy, Marine. In fact, I'm scared,"

"Of what?" I asked gently.

"I'm scared I won't be good enough. I won't be like my mother. But if I am like my mother they'll just end up traumatized..."

"You have to stop overthinking this and go with what feels right for our family, Cleo."

"I'm scared I'll lose you. I can't lose you, Marine. I need you."

"You won't, bubby. I promise you. Not anytime soon."

"I can't even talk about this..." She looked away from me and wiped her eyes. "Don't do this to me."

"Please don't cry," I whispered as I squeezed her hands. "I can do it, Cleo, I can."

"Promise?"

"I promise."

I kissed her light, blush pink lips, tasting familiarity.

"We don't even know if it'll be a vampire, Melanie wasn't."
"The donor wasn't pure vampire, either. They were turned." Cleo replied.

"Then find one. I'll be okay."

Cleo just sighed as I kissed her cheek.

"Bababa!" Melanie giggled from her playpen.

"I know, baby," Cleo smiled at her sadly.

Cleo got up and entered the pen, scooping her into her lap.

Melanie hummed happily and reached for her green soft block, almost tumbling out of her lap.

Cleo grabbed the block for her and put it out with a flat hand. Melanie instantaneously reached for it and let out a happy squeal, before dropping it again.

Cleo kept picking it up and she continued to drop it each time.

"Cause and effect, Marine."

"What?"

"She's learning cause and effect. When she drops it she knows I'll pick it back up again,"

It was very like her to do obsessive research on a topic.