🩸A Very Vampy Christmas (pt.59)🩸

~December 24th, 2032~

"Mommy, what are we doing today?"
"Don't you know what today is, Mel?" I asked her.

Melanie stood below me at the kitchen island, her face laced with hope and curiosity.

"Christmas Eve!" she exclaimed.
"That's right," I smiled.

I reached for the handle of the fridge, opening it and taking out a cardboard bottle of whipping cream. I put it on the counter before looking back down at her.

"We're going to make homemade whipped cream for the pie tomorrow."
"Is it good?" she asked.

I laughed, "Well, that's up to you."

Melanie quickly pulled her stool up to the counter, only a little shorter than it was.

"Open it, Mommy! Open it!"
"Okay, okay."

I opened the bottle of cream. "Would you grab me a bowl?"

She nodded and went for the tall cupboard where the Tupperware and cooking bowls were stored.

As she came back with the blue bowl, I took the seal off of the bottle and poured a decent amount into the bowl.

"Can I drink it?"
"Um...if you really want to. It probably won't taste like anything," I told her with a small smile.

She dipped her finger into the white whipping cream and shoved it into her mouth, tasting it.

"That tastes like shit!"

I was taken aback.
"M-Mel..."

I tried to hold my laugh in, but I could already hear Cleo snickering from the sofa.

"Okay," I cleared my throat, "just try your best not to say that word?"

I was sure she'd picked it up from her mother, and to be specific, not myself.
We hadn't ever really talked to the children about the concept of swear words.

"Uh-huh."
"We're going to add sugar and vanilla to it, it won't taste like that in the end."

"Ugh! Good! I was starting to worry about your judgment, Mommy."

My eyebrows creased in confusion.
"Um...moving on from that," I mumbled, "let's get out the electric mixer, okay?"

She grabbed the handheld electric mixer and let it run in the liquid for a few minutes, it was quite obnoxious and loud.

"Are we done yet?"
"Once it starts to get thick!" I told her.

I grabbed a small bottle of vanilla extract and poured it out into the lid, before pouring it into the bowl.

"Do you think that's enough?"
"More!"

I let out a light laugh, although it was barely audible over the mixer. "Okay."

I put just a drop more in because I didn't think she truly knew how far a little bit went.

Once it thickened up a bit more after a few more minutes. I took the mixer from her.

"How about you add the sugar in?" I asked, turning down the level by one.
I nodded to the blue measuring cup. "Just use the cup right there."

"Okay!"

She grabbed the cup and scooped the sugar from the bag. The cup was overflowing with the white crystalline, but she dumped it into the mixing bowl. Grains of it flew around before slowly incorporating into the rest of the cream.

"Good job, lovely. That'll be nice once it's done."
"Yeah, I know. Probably because I made it."

I snorted, "Okay, then."