🩸Heartbreak (pt.20)🩸

(tw: sensitive subjects mentioned)

It had been two weeks. My room was a mess, my wrists were cut up, I hadn't eaten for at least a week, and I hadn't showered. My body was caught up under my covers, as I endlessly scrolled through my phone. I'd barely gotten up to go to the bathroom.

My heart pounded, begging to even hear Cleo's voice again, her accent and the way her words rasped off her tongue. Begging to feel her body against mine, I longed for her comfort and attention.

If she didn't come back, I would make rational decisions, maybe buy a kitten and name it after her.

I knew what I had done, she was right for leaving.

Cleo hadn't done anything wrong, I'd put her childhood trauma right in the spotlight. My heart craved hugs and apology cuddles.

Although, it was unclear if she'd ever trust me again.

My daydreams had begun to get out of hand as well, it was maladaptive, it felt so real, starting a family with her.

But fighting off tired eyelids, I suddenly heard the sound of light steps coming up my stairs. My door creaked open wide, and my eyes sleepily widened as best as possible to see the intruder.

"Hey, Marine,"
"What...do you want, Harper?"

He sighed. "Bored. I am bored,"

"Well, what do you want me to do about it?" I muttered, sitting up.
"Humor me, will you? Where's your girlfriend?"

"We're not...doing well," I whispered. I looked off to the side as I felt his glistening blue eyes peer into me.

"Tell me about it?"

He came over to sit on the side of my bed, somehow, in the moment, it made him feel less intimidating.

There was always a part of me that had been scared of Harper. There wasn't much reason to be, however. He'd earned my trust after saving our lives on multiple occasions. And suddenly now, he was leveling with me like a father.

"Cleo hasn't told you anything?"

"That bitch doesn't give a fuck about me," he snorted, "she wouldn't tell me shit if her life depended on it,"

I hummed quietly and looked at him, his presence was beginning to feel nice.

"She's not the most open either, you know?"

Heaving out a sigh, I nodded in response.

"Well she...lied to me, and I said some things I shouldn't have,"

From the wall, he turned his head towards me.

"Then she left. And that was two weeks ago." I noticed my voice shaking.
"Lied?"

"She lied because she didn't want to upset me, it was all my fault. I ruined everything, because I always ruin everything," I whispered, tears welling up in my eyes.

"Don't cry, Marine. Crying doesn't help anything." He said sternly, a twinkle hidden in his eyes.

"I don't think she'll ever trust me again." I slowly began to cry, small tears trickling down my cheeks.

He sighed, annoyed, and leaned over to me, wiping them with his thumb. "You're not helping yourself here. Trust is like glass, you can put it back together when it breaks, but it'll have cracks,"

"So you're saying she won't?"
"Maybe not. She holds grudges,"

I sniffled and looked down to fidget with my hands, tugging on a few of my fingers.

"She lied to keep you safe, you said?"
"She didn't want me to spiral."

He let out a small laugh, "Mirrors are glass too, Marine,"
"A-and?"

"You can't see vampires in mirrors."

"So- so you're saying I shouldn't trust her," I blinked, my tears slowing.

"No...of course not," he said sweetly, "not that dating a vamp in the first place was a good idea, but that's not what I'm saying. Maybe she didn't tell you the full story is all, what did she do?"

"She didn't tell me my sister was alive. I told her her name and she didn't tell me, and I saw- I saw the look in her eye when I had told her, too. I should've known."

His lips parted, "So she didn't lie. She just didn't tell you."

"But if I- if I had asked-"
"Don't get held up on shit like that."

"I'm sorry."

"I'm not the one you should be saying sorry to," he told me softly.

"You're right," I muttered, "but how do I-"
"Tell you what. I'll take you to find her,"

"You'll watch me apologize to her?" I questioned.

"No," he said. "No, I won't be there for that,"
"I just wouldn't want you to get hurt again when you fall. Even though I do laugh."

"Okay," I answered with a weak smile, "thank you."
"Anytime, weakling. Come on." Harper gave me a small smile and stood up, lending me a hand.

I took his hand for leverage up and we started for the forest.

~~~

We walked in silence, he had nothing to say to me, which was a little strange. He seemed confident outside of everything else, apparently besides making conversation.

"Did you seriously only come to see me because you were bored?"

He scoffed, "The truth is, I saw Cleodare. She looks like a fucking wreck, Marine. She looks like her puppy just died."

Shit. I'd completely shattered her heart, it was all my fault.

"How old?" I queried with a small falter in my voice.
"What?"
"How old is the puppy? How much does it matter?"

He thought for a second, stepping over a rotting log, then helping me over. "Like the puppy was actually pregnant and she lost the rest of the puppies inside, as well."

"Oh, God," I said quietly, letting a small smile slip from my lips. He was making all of it a little less painful.

"How old are you?"

"Guess, why don't you? Whatever you think," he hummed.
"Hm, 200?"

"Halfway there."

"Seriously? Like...379."

"Oddly specific. I'm 413."

I snorted, "You look good for your age."
He peered over at me, "Pleasant."

We walked for a little longer, our conversation having ended. Before he stopped and turned to me, I stopped too and lightly raised my eyebrows at him.

"We're almost there, Marine,"
"Why did you stop?" I questioned.

"I have to tell you something,"

"well, more like show you," he dug through the pocket in his jacket.

"Yeah?...Is something wrong?"
He was beginning to make me worry.

"Precisely." A knife drew from his pocket. He smiled as he held the shimmering blade up to the moonlight.

 He smiled as he held the shimmering blade up to the moonlight