🩸Damn Dog (pt.56)🩸

"Are we doing anything for Halloween?"

Cleo laughed, "You're into that?"

"I don't know, maybe the children would be."

"I'm sure Theo doesn't want to go out and see his sister with a bag full of candy she's so excited about, but something that he can't have any of."

She brought up a good point, and truth be told, I'd thought about it. But I figured talking to her about it would solidify everything a little more.

"Well...we don't have to do any normal things, subjectively. Maybe we could...I don't know, paint pumpkins, or something."

She thought for a moment, considering the idea before a small voice spoke up.

"Pumpkin."

We both automatically turned to the voice, because it wasn't Melanie's, she wasn't even home.

Theo was busy staring at us from the sitting room carpet. His hands were still glued to his plushies, but his face, built with chubby cheeks and big, dark eyes, was completely bland.

Cleo let go of me and headed over to him, immediately sitting down criss-cross next to him. She ran a hand through his deep brown, nearing black hair, "Would you like that?"

"Pumpkins," he repeated calmly.
"He's said it plural," I snorted.

Turns out, that extraterrestrial-like hearing wasn't for nothing. He had been constantly listening to the world around him, but he'd finally felt safe enough to say something about it other than five different words. Pride from just being there to hear it made my heart swell.

The point was just the pride of being a parent, so the other thing that made my heart swell was the little ruffly pink dress I'd put him in.

"That's right," Cleo cooed, kissing the top of his head. "We're going to paint pumpkins this year."

"Mamama..." He went back to playing as if she'd never talked to him.

"Theo?" I spoke up, my voice a slightly higher pitch. He responded, quickly looking over at me.

"What's going to be on your pumpkin?"

He tumbled into his mother's lap, and she just snorted, patting him on the head.
"Wawawawabit."

I gave Cleo a look.

She looked somewhat puzzled as well, though. "A rabbit maybe, kiddo?"

He sneezed in response. The only valid reply.

~October 13th, 2028~

It was 8 am, and I was busy decorating over the kitchen cabinets with streamers, while Cleo was still wrapping Melanie's birthday presents.

"I think I'm gonna cry," I said.

She snuck up behind me and grabbed my waist, pulling me into her and kissing my neck.

"Cleo, god!" I laughed.

"I just missed you so much, babydoll." She whispered as she kissed my neck again.

"I was about thirty feet away from you,"
"Mm, sometimes you need to tell that to yourself."

I paused.

"Shut up."

She let out a happy snort and kissed me for the third time.

Regardless, it was Melanie's third birthday, and I was going to make sure everything was just how she wanted it.