🩸Forgotten and Replaced (pt.35)🩸

Cleo's birthday had been two days ago, and I'd completely forgotten. If it was possible for there to be a pit in my stomach, there would've been. I felt horrible. I was just distracted, but that was no excuse.

She hadn't said anything about it. I wondered if she had forgotten, or wasn't bringing it up. Honestly, it could've been a mix of both.

But regardless, a big wrench was about to be thrown in our path.

"Cleo!" I quickly ran into the kitchen to find her pouring a glass of blood. It was something I'd gotten used to, as it was one of her normal activities.

Although, it was still a little strange when she put it in the microwave.

She looked up at me. Even when she'd just woken up, her bangs were perfectly in place.

She'd told me months ago she was going to treat herself to more sleep. Which apparently made it more difficult for her to go out and hunt. I'd noticed it, her fridge was a little less full than it used to be. But I guess she had to choose her battles.

For the past year, her cologne hadn't changed. Her soft closed-mouth smile hadn't either. Her blush pink lips slightly curved up as she stared at me.

"What's wrong?"

I spun her around so her back faced me. "I totally forgot about-" I sighed.
"I-I have to show you something!"

She laughed lightly.

"For your birthday!" I bounced up and down, my legs almost giving out. I was full of nervousness.

"My birthday was two days ago, babydoll." She snorted, glancing over at me, before taking a sip.

"I know...I'm sorry I forgot. I was..." I sighed, thinking of the previous day.
I had been trying not to cry. I had been trying to appear as normal. Because thinking of telling her always made me stop to catch my breath.

"This is really important now!"

It would be an interesting start to my twenties.

"That's fine..." She replied, her voice gentle.

I hoped deep down that she wasn't upset that I'd forgotten her birthday.

What good girlfriend would forget their partner's birthday? It made me want to cry just thinking of her being disappointed like that.

I took a deep breath, and with a shaking hand, put the gift on the counter.

My heart throbbed in my chest as I strained to get my voice to work.

"T-turn around."

Cleo hesitantly turned around and her eyes immediately drew down to the counter.

Her face went neutral as she quickly looked back up at me.

"You're serious, Marine?"

All I could do was nod frantically.

A sudden smile lit her up. She was glowing.

"You're pregnant?"

I paused, before trying to force out words, which came out in a squeak. Butterflies twirled as I reached down for my stomach.

No wound this time, just a blessing.

I couldn't break eye contact with her.

Tears suddenly began to rush down her cheeks as she quickly moved in to hug me. I fell into her tight embrace and soon we were both sobbing happy tears all over each other.

"When...when did you find out?" Cleo choked on her tears, stroking the top of my head. "The morning of your birthday," I sniffled, "I-I'm sorry...I didn't tell you, I was just really-"

"Don't say anything else. Just kiss me." I could hear her sweet smile.

I wrapped my arms around her back and stood up straighter to kiss her as tears dripped down both of our faces. She loosely spun me around as our lips touched.

"I didn't think it would actually work." She said softly. "It wasn't working."

"Happy...late birthday." I smiled against her lips.

Cleo wiped my tears with her thumbs, "The best birthday I've ever had."

(A/N, hope youre having fun, because after i did so much research on babies for this damn book, i don't think i am, (joke lol

(A/N, hope youre having fun, because after i did so much research on babies for this damn book, i don't think i am, (joke lol.))