Ch. 30: Believe and See

Chapter 30: Believe and See

"Whatever you are looking for is looking for you too." - Anonymous

Ruby wakes up suddenly from her sleep, while groggy she was still reaching to her scroll, seeing it's early morning with the sun not even fully risen yet the area was still in a bit of darkness.

Trying and failing to fall back asleep again and again she had decided that since she was already up, she should leave the tent that RWBY were camping out in.

After doing that Ruby would look around and knew that there was nothing better to do. So she walks around the camp, checking on her people, The "House of Rose" Fallen. While doing this she sees a couple Vandals guarding the area.

"Probably working in shifts" she wonders, and continues on.

Everyone who wasn't a fighter or an active warrior were asleep, Jaune and his team included. Until eventually she happens upon Surveyor floating towards her.

The young Kell could see it as plain as day, this was not her Surveyor, or she should say that this was him, but nothing more then a amnesiac posing as her friend. So she reasoned with logic, "While the Mind forgets, the Heart never does." So she questioned him, "What are your Objectives?" And Surveyor would respond in kind, the Objectives that he was given by the Dreg, Wavok were ones built upon the old objectives so it wasn't a surprise to her to see the difference.

"Objectives: Distributed Ether to House, Protect the House, help the House, Obey The Kell, Obey the House....Protect Family..."

She would lament at this knowing that there wasn't anything that she could do about it now, not to mention she knew next to nothing about Fallen Programming.

Regardless she placed her hand on him with a sad smile and asked for Ether from Surveyor which he obliged, the pair walked without a destination in mind around the camp a few times until the sun started to rise.

Eventually hours would pass and suddenly she saw Jaune walking towards them. Since Jaune woke up a bit earlier than his friends he decided to let them sleep and when he went for a walk he encountered Ruby.

Seeing Ruby patrolling it gave him a sense of duty to patrol the place as well, thus the two would walk and talk for a bit as they both were patrolling around the camp.

During a quiet moment with the three a curious Jaune would briefly ask his Kell how exactly is she holding up, Ruby heard his question and thought about it, her logic lead her to knowing that House Rose was safe for now and with the help of a Guardian, it eased her mind immensely.

"I'm...I'm fine. At least for now anyway."

"Are you sure about that?" Jaune asked a little worried.

"What do you mean?"

"What I'm saying is are you fine physically? Or Mentally?" Jaune said as the two stopped to talk for a bit.

Ruby stopped and took a deep breath in, around her the Fallen were not only asleep but quite a distance away allowing a bit of privacy between the two.

Wondering where her teammates were as well as Jaune's she just couldn't help to stop the words that flow past her lips. "Can I really do this?"

"Do what?"

"This, Team Leader, The Kell, The House...Can I really...Never mind maybe we should just-" Ruby turned to leave but stopped from Jaune's sudden declaration.

"I think you can do it."

Ruby turns around and looks at Jaune with a frown.

"I know you can do it." He said.