A Rainy Summer 23

~Chapter (23)~

‘I cannot believe that the purpose of life is to be "happy." I think the purpose of life is to be useful, to be responsible, to be compassionate. It is, above all, to matter and to count, to stand for something, to have made some difference that you lived at all.’

 Leo C. Rosten.

At the time I woke up, the sun light was already filling the room. I must have slept all night, thanks to the stupid sleeping medicines, Stephen had forced me to take. That guy was so freaking stubborn.

I sensed a hard body right next to me as I tried to shift my own body away from the window, shielding my eyes from the bright sunlight, in an attempt to achieve a more clear vision. I rubbed my eyes a few times to get more focused. I couldn’t believe what I saw. My eyes must have been deceiving me.

How in the world did he find out? And how the heck did he manage to convince everyone to let him stay here?

Liam was laying right next to me on the bed, he seemed to be in deep sleep, yet his face was very intense, it was like he was having a bad dream. I glanced at his arm that was wrapped up around me protectively. A smile crept to my face when I realized that he was with me all night. Liam was truly an incredible guy, one in a million.

“Enjoying the view?” Liam’s amused voice pulled me out of my train of thoughts.

Instantly, a blush made its way onto my cheeks. I lowered my head in an attempt to hide my reddish face. “I thought you were. . .asleep.”

“Actually, I was,” Liam stated as he got out of the bed, then he ran a hand through his messy hair and smiled. “I woke up a couple of minutes ago.”

“Oh.”

“What were you doing anyway?” Liam asked, sending me a curious look before resuming to fix his hair with both of his hands.

“Um, nothing,” Quickly, I replied.

Liam turned his head slightly to get a better look at me. “Is that so?” he questioned as his eyes searched mine carefully.

“How did you know that I was here?” I asked, changing the subject.

“The bird told me,” Liam said smiling after he throw himself on one of the chairs.

I rolled my eyes at him. “I am serious, Liam. How did you find out?”

“Honestly, it was a coincidence. I called, uh. . .” Liam scratched his neck nervously. “I called, because I wanted to ask. . . . if you would give me the honor and accompany me to the ford’s annual charity event.”

I chuckled at his nervous actions. “Why are you being so formal about it?” I asked raising an eyebrow at him.

“Formal?”

I nodded.

“I was not being formal. I was only asking you properly, this is how we do it here” Liam clarified.

“Right.”

“It is called the proper English for quite a good reason,” Liam mumbled.

“Don’t start,” I advised.

Liam crossed his arms over his chest, and frowned childishly.  

“Ford? Isn’t that Mason’s family?” I questioned.

“Yes,” Liam responded with a nod.

“Alright then, I’ll go.”

Instantly, a frown broke into Liam’s face. “Did you accept because of Mason?”