Chapter 3

Sophia’s POV

I was a product of an affair.

I was a child no one wanted. I was a child who was punished for a mistake that wasn’t even my own.

My mother was the wife of one of the most powerful men in New York. My father was my mother's husband’s biggest rival. My mother’s and my father’s families hated each other and when their affair was discovered all hell broke loose.

I wasn’t even sure why I was born in the first place. Why didn’t my mom get rid of me once she found out she was pregnant? Did she think that I was her husband’s child? Why didn’t my father make her get rid of me? Why did they bring me into this world? I should have never been born. I didn’t belong here. I didn’t belong anywhere.

I was nothing but a means to an end. I was nothing but an object they could torture to punish my parents for their affair.

I never met my parents. I was given to James and Elizabeth as soon as I was born. They were told to make my life a living hell. They were told to torture me and make me regret ever opening my eyes and letting out that first cry.

They did a wonderful job doing that. I regretted breathing. I regretted being alive. I regretted everything and I just wanted it all to end.

I wanted to die and I would make sure it happened.

I didn’t see a future for myself. I didn’t see myself going to college. I didn’t see myself getting older. I didn’t see myself having friends and family. I didn’t see myself being happy.

I was broken beyond repair and I just wanted to let go. I wanted to stop breathing.

I tried taking my life one time. I failed and James’ punishment was hell I never wanted to go through again. He promised to do it again if I tried to take my own life and that was the only thing stopping me from trying to do it again. I was terrified of failing and having to go through that again.

So when I was informed that my brothers finally came for me, I was relieved. I would be able to die peacefully. My brothers would finally kill me and I would finally be free of the pain I felt.

James and Elizabeth prepared me for my brothers’ arrival. I always knew they would come back for me and I knew that it would be the end. I was looking forward to it and if I knew how to show happiness, I would have shown it.

I wondered which one of my brothers would take me and torture me. Would it be my mother's sons or my father’s sons? I knew it couldn't be both. They hated each other.

But maybe they hated me more. Maybe their hatred toward me was strong enough to unite them and make them torture me together.

“Are you listening to me, orphan?” James asked as he grabbed a fistful of my hair and pulled my head back.

I blinked once, indicating that I was indeed listening to him. I wasn’t allowed to speak with them. I was allowed to nod or blink.

“As I said, your brothers sent their men for you and that can only mean one thing,” he said, narrowing his eyes at me. “Either they are ready to end your pathetic little life, or they will use you and give you back to us.”

That second part would never happen. If my brothers didn’t kill me, I would do it myself. I would never come back here. I would never let him do that to me again.

“Don’t even think about complaining to them about anything,” James said, gritting his teeth and tightening his hold on my hair. “They know everything I did and they approved of it.”

“They are ruthless and they hate you,” Elizabeth added. “They are going to punish you if you try talking bad about us.”

I didn’t understand why they were repeating it all to me. I already knew that. They told me when I was a child that my brothers ordered them to torture me. Why would I try to complain to the people who gave them orders to do it?

“Did you understand, slut?” James asked.

I blinked again.

“Good,” James smirked as he leaned in and bit my shoulder.

My stomach turned and I had to hold back a sob.

“I will miss you, though,” James said. “I hope that they will give you back to me.”

I tried to remain as still as possible. I knew there was no use in fighting him.

“Be respectful and do as they tell you,” Elizabeth said. “They probably want a maid they can torture a little.”

Elizabeth chuckled before continuing.

“Don’t look them in the eyes,” she said. “Don’t talk to them and make sure you do every fucking thing they tell you to do. Don’t make us look bad.”

James looked up and down my body and my stomach was now turning constantly. He pulled my head back a little bit more.

“Maybe they will kill you immediately,” he said coldly. “It would be a shame, though. You are a perfect little slut and you can be of better service alive than dead.”

Oh, I couldn't wait to be dead. I couldn't wait to be buried as deep as possible. I couldn't wait until my body wouldn't be used by him or anyone else anymore.

“Make sure that your injuries and scars aren’t visible,” Elizabeth said. “They don’t want to look at your ugly, disfigured body.”

James smirked and lowered his head. He placed a small kiss on my neck and I had to gulp down the bile.

If I had a knife, I would plunge it into my chest immediately.

“Don’t forget who you really belong to, slut,” James said as he lifted his head and looked up at me. “There will always be a reminder on your back, but I need to know that there is a constant reminder of me in your brain as well.”

Oh, he didn’t have to worry about that. He was in my every waking thought and every nightmare that I had.

The only escape from him was death.

I heard a car pull up into our driveway. James smirked before he let me go.

I lowered my head immediately. They told me that it was disrespectful to look up at anyone.

“Behave, slut,” Elizabeth whispered into my ear as she opened the front door.

“Hello, Mr. Miller,” I heard a man say. “Is Miss Diaz ready?”

“She is,” James said politely. “When will she be returned to us?”

“I am not allowed to discuss that with you,” the man said. “Please call Mr. Ferrara and ask him.”

“Of course,” James said. “Take care of Sophia, please. She means the world to us.”

I furrowed my eyebrows. What the hell was going on? Why was James pretending? Maybe the man didn’t know who I was? Maybe he didn’t know what would happen to me.

“Come on, honey,” Elizabeth said as she gently pushed me toward the car. “Your brothers are waiting for you.”

What the hell was going on with them?

I approached the car and saw the man open the back door for me. I got inside and glanced up.

Elizabeth and James were standing next to the car with smirks on their faces.

I’d never been happier. This was the last time I would see them. If my brothers didn’t kill me, I would do it myself. I would never have to feel their hands on my body. I would never have to be their toy again.