Chapter 34

Sophia's POV

I was staring at Damien and I wasn’t sure if I was breathing.

I was an idiot. I should have kept my mouth shut. I didn’t even know why I said it. I didn’t mean to. It just slipped out. I didn’t even realize that he heard it.

Someone kissed my temple, but I had no idea who it was. I couldn't feel my body.

What would they do now that they knew? Would they lock me up in some hospital? Would they get rid of me?

Well, of course they would. Who the hell wanted to take care of a suicidal 16-year-old?

“Sophia, sweetie, can you tell me what happened the first time you tried to take your own life?” Damien asked and my ears started buzzing.

I felt someone wrap their arm around my waist and rest their head on my shoulder. I tried to figure out who it was, but I couldn't move my eyes from Damien.

“Baby,” Alex said as he cupped my cheek and turned my head toward him.

So Luke was the one who was holding me and resting his head on my shoulder.

Alex smiled and caressed my cheek.

“It’s okay,” he said. “We want to help. We want to make sure that you never feel like you need to hurt yourself again. We want to make sure that you know that you are safe and loved.”

“Oh, you are so loved, cutie,” Luke mumbled.

My heart skipped a beat.

Someone ran their fingers through my hair. I looked up and saw Will. He caressed my cheek.

“We just got you back,” Will said quietly. “We really don’t want to lose you.”

Will looked at Alex and sighed.

“You are the glue that holds us together, Sunshine,” Will said softly. “We looked over our differences so all of us could take care of you.”

Will looked back at me and smiled.

“I know it’s hard for you to believe when we tell you how much we love you,” Will continued. “But we do, Sophia. We love you so much and we don’t want to lose you.”

I felt tears burning the corners of my eyes. Will leaned in and kissed my forehead.

Damien squeezed my hand, making me look back at him.

“What happened the first time?” he asked softly.

Will placed his hands on my shoulders and squeezed them gently. I tried to take a deep breath.

“James saved me,” I mumbled quietly.

Well, I wasn’t sure if it could be called saving. He stopped me from dying so he could continue to torture me.

Damien took a deep breath and nodded.

“When did it happen?” he asked.

“About six months ago,” I answered quietly.

Luke tightened his arms around me. I saw Damien's jaw clench.

“What did you do?” Damien asked quietly.

I gulped and glanced at Alex. He caressed my cheek.

“It’s okay, baby,” he mumbled. “I am here.”

I reached out and took his hand in mine. I wasn’t sure if I would be able to tell the story without him. He offered comfort that no one else could. I never felt so safe with anyone. Being with Alex felt like being home. I didn’t know when I started feeling like that, but I did. He was the first one I ever felt safe with and I needed him.