Chapter 28

Elijah’s POV

Anger was boiling in my veins as I followed Damien to his room.

I didn’t even know why I decided to follow him. I didn’t even know what I was going to say to him.

He was a stubborn idiot who was driving me fucking insane.

But at the same time, I didn’t want anything bad to happen to him. He looked like he was on the verge of breaking and I didn’t want him to be alone.

He slammed his bedroom door shut. He either didn’t notice me following him or he didn’t want to talk to me.

I didn’t give a shit really. He was going to talk to me.

I opened the door and walked inside. He was pacing around his room, holding his head in his hands. He glanced up at me and an unknown emotion flashed in his eyes.

“Not now, Elijah,” he mumbled as he hid his face again.

Something weird tugged at my chest. I felt the need to comfort him. I didn’t know why, though. I wanted to punch the living shit out of him as well.

“Alex is impulsive,” I said as I leaned against the door. “He didn’t mean what he said. He says a lot of stupid shit when he is angry. He will calm down and he will let you see her.”

Damien looked at me and gulped.

“He is right,” he mumbled. “It is better if I am away from her. I hurt her. I don’t deserve to…”

He stopped talking and ran his fingers through his hair, pulling on it hard.

“You made a mistake,” I said. “A huge fucking mistake, but I am sure that you didn’t mean to. You didn’t know that she was awake. I didn’t know that she was awake. You didn’t mean for her to hear that.”

I wasn’t exactly sure why I was comforting him. I was so fucking angry, but a part of me wanted to make sure that he was okay. My heart hurt watching him this upset.

Damien looked at me and furrowed his eyebrows.

“Why are you trying to comfort me, Elijah?” he asked. “Why aren’t you angry at me? Why aren’t you punching the living shit out of me right now?”

My heart clenched painfully. I wanted to do it, but I could never hurt him.

I looked down at my feet and took a deep breath.

I wasn’t sure what to say to him. I wasn’t sure why I was doing this myself.

“Just leave, Elijah,” Damien said after I didn’t answer him.

I looked up and saw him walk over to his bed. He sat down and buried his face into his hands.

I wasn’t going to leave. I couldn’t leave.

I took another deep breath and approached him. I sat next to him and looked at the picture on his nightstand.

A small smile spread across my face.

It was a picture of him, William, and Lucas. William was holding Sophia in his arms. I couldn’t see her face because she was wrapped up in a blanket, but I remembered that day. Alex and I had the same picture where he was holding her and I was standing next to him. It was a day they took her from us. We all insisted on taking a picture with her. We wanted a memory.

Damien was standing next to William and looking down at Sophia with a small smile on his face. He looked peaceful. He looked like he loved her so much.

He still did.

I just wasn’t sure why he had to act like he didn’t. What was he trying to protect her from? He wasn’t a bad person. He would never hurt her intentionally.