Chapter 30

Sophia’s POV

I failed.

They found me and I failed.

I shouldn’t have stopped walking so close to the house. I should have found the strength to continue.

I failed.

My entire body hurt and I was so cold. My heart felt like it was being cut in half. I couldn’t stop shivering and sobbing.

“My baby,” Alex mumbled as he kissed my temple. “My little girl.”

I didn’t want to see him this broken. If I died I wouldn’t have to see him in pain. I wouldn’t have to see him cry. I didn’t want him to cry.

I somehow managed to wiggle my arms out of the blankets that were wrapped around me. I hugged Alex as tightly as I could.

“I am sorry,” I mumbled. “I didn’t want to hurt you.”

Alex placed a hand on my head and pressed me even closer to him.

“Don’t apologize, baby,” he said. “I am the one who should be apologizing. I am the one who didn’t do his job. I should have seen your pain, Sophia. I should have known that you were struggling.”

He made me look at him. He caressed my cheek and gave me a small smile.

“I was so happy that you started talking,” he cried out. “I was so freaking happy that you started trusting me. I ignored your struggles and I am so fucking sorry about that.”

I felt more tears fall down my cheeks. I reached out and wiped his tears away. I didn’t want him to cry.

It wasn’t his fault. It was mine.

“I should have protected you better,” he continued, shaking his head. “I should have been in that room and I should have assured you that we would never give you away.”

I gulped and tried to take a deep breath. Alex sighed and caressed my cheek.

“You got scared, didn’t you?” he asked after a few moments of silence.

I nodded. I couldn't speak.

“You thought that we would give you back to Jam…” he started asking, but he couldn’t finish.

His eyes blazed with fury.

I shrugged a little.

“I wasn’t sure if you would give me back to him or someone else,” I mumbled. “I just didn’t want to be hurt like that again.”

Alex’s eyes widened a little. He cupped my cheeks and shook his head.

“Never, baby,” he said, his voice strained. “No one will ever hurt you like that again. I won’t let them.”

“We won’t let them,” someone said.

I froze and Alex pressed me against him. I buried my face into his neck. I wasn’t sure if I wanted to see anyone else.

Alex was…

“It’s okay, baby,” Alex said. “It’s just your brothers. They love you just as much as I do, always remember that.”

“Hi, honey,” Elijah said as he ran his fingers through my hair. “The tea is ready.”

“My cutie,” I heard Lucas’ voice and then I felt him kiss the top of my head. “I missed you.”

I felt tears fall down my cheeks.

“Come on, Sunshine,” William said as he pulled me away from Alex gently. “You need to drink your tea. It will warm you up.”