Chapter 36

Sophia's POV

“Okay,” Damien said quietly. “Just in the morning?”

Alex kissed my temple and tightened his arms around me.

Damien kept nodding his head.

“Yes, definitely,” Damien said, looking at me. “She needs it.”

I furrowed my eyebrows a little.

“Okay,” Damien said. “I will call you soon.”

He ended the call and looked at me.

“Seth said that we should start you on a small dose of antidepressant,” Damien said and I tensed up a little. “You will also have your sessions with him twice a week.”

“Antidepressant?” Eli asked. “Is that safe?”

Damien looked at him and nodded.

“Of course,” he said. “I would never agree to it if it wasn’t safe. Also, I will be monitoring her the entire time. I will be taking her off it if I notice any damaging side effects.”

Damien looked back at me and sighed.

“Are you sleeping okay, sweetie?” he asked.

I furrowed my eyebrows a little.

“I have nightmares when I’m alone,” I mumbled quietly.

Alex stroked my hair and kissed my temple again.

“We know a cure for that then,” he said. “One of us will always be with you.”

I looked at him and he smiled.

“I can’t ask you to…,” I started speaking, but he interrupted.

“Yes, you can,” he said. “We are your family and we are here for you. You don’t even have to ask us to be here, baby. We want to be here for you. We want to help you.”

I felt the tears in the corners of my eyes. I buried my face into Alex’s chest and took a deep breath. Alex rubbed my back gently.

“You are not alone anymore, Sunshine,” Will said. “You have a family now and you can always rely on us.”

A part of me knew that, but I was having such a hard time accepting it. I was having a hard time understanding it. I was struggling with realizing that it was all really happening. I felt like I was dreaming. I felt like I would wake up and be in that cold basement again.

“Can I ask you something, Sophia?” Damien spoke softly.

I looked up at him and nodded.

He took a deep breath and approached me. He sat next to Alex and me and took my hand in his.

I had a feeling that I wouldn't like his question.

But I would answer it. I was done being afraid.

“Do you have suicidal thoughts often?” he asked. “Do you have plans to hurt yourself? Do you have a need to hurt yourself?”

I took a deep breath and furrowed my eyebrows.

“Please, baby, tell us the truth,” Alex said, pressing me closer to him. “We want to help you.”

I knew that and I wanted to tell them the truth. I just didn’t know how to. I didn’t know how to put it in words.

“I am struggling to find a way to explain,” I said, making Damien nod.

“Okay,” he said. “Start talking and we will ask questions. Does that sound okay?”

I gulped and gave him a small nod. He smiled and caressed my cheek.