Chapter 37

Damien’s POV

I was drying my hair with a towel when I heard a knock on my bedroom door.

“Coming,” I mumbled as I walked out of my bathroom and approached my bedroom door.

I opened it and my heart skipped a beat.

Elijah looked me up and down and I could swear I felt my muscles burn under his gaze.

I gulped and tried to focus on anything else except his eyes on my naked upper body.

“What?” I asked angrily, trying to cover up the slight tremble in my voice.

“I just wanted to check if you were okay,” Elijah said as he finally looked up at me.

I tightened my jaw. Why the fuck did he care? Why the fuck did my heart skipped a beat when he asked me that? Why did I like it?

“Why do you care?” I asked as I forced myself to turn around and walk toward my bed.

My entire body was shaking. I had to grab the towel around my waist to stop it from sliding down my legs.

Why was he here? What did he want?

I heard him close my bedroom door and my heart started racing. I could feel it in my throat.

“We are…,” he spoke but I interrupted him.

“Enemies, right?” I asked as I turned around and narrowed my eyes at him. “Why the fuck do you care then? You should be in here pointing your gun at me, not asking me how the fuck I am.”

What?

What the hell was I saying?

I was so fucking nervous and so fucking distracted by his eyes roaming around my body that I just went into defensive mode. His presence turned me into an idiot. I wasn’t even in control of the words that were coming out of my own fucking mouth.

He was leaning against the door with his hands in his pockets. I could see his muscles clench a little and it made my stomach…

No. Fuck no.

He raised his eyebrows at me and crossed his arms over his chest.

“Really?” he asked, his voice quiet and deep. “Do you really want me to do that, Damien? Do you really want me to point my gun at you?”

I gulped and started drying my hair with the towel again. I needed something to do. I needed something to distract me.

“I am fine, Elijah,” I said, trying to stop my voice from shaking. “You can leave.”

He didn’t move.

Why the fuck didn’t he move?!

“Why do you want me to go?” he asked. “Do I make you nervous?”

Yes.

“No,” I said angrily. “You annoy the living shit out of me. Maybe I should point my fucking gun at you.”

Elijah didn’t respond. He just kept staring at me, making my entire body tremble.

He needed to get the fuck out of my room.

“Leave, Elijah,” I said, throwing the towel on my bed. “Or do you want me to kick you out?”

He didn’t respond, but he moved and started approaching me. My heart picked up pace with each and every step he took.

“We are not enemies, Damien,” Elijah said as he stood in front of me. “Not anymore at least.”

I gulped and tightened my jaw.

“Really?” I asked, trying to make it sound like I was mocking him. “What are we then, Elijah?”

He tilted his head and glanced at my lips. I dug my nails into my palms. He was standing too close to me. I could smell his cologne and...

“I don’t have an answer to that question yet,” he said quietly. “But I do know that you would never point your gun at me.”

I forced a smirk on my face.

“Are you sure about that?” I asked.

Elijah raised an eyebrow at me.

“Quite sure,” he said. “Feel free to prove me wrong. The gun is in your nightstand drawer, isn’t it?”

He glanced at my nightstand and took a deep, slow breath.

I just tightened my jaw and narrowed my eyes at him.

“Leave, Elijah,” I said, my voice trembling. “I don’t have time for this.”

Elijah sighed and looked me up and down again. My entire body was on fire. I looked at his lips and gulped. They looked so soft. They looked so wet and ready to…

No. No, no, no, no!

“I will leave,” he said as he looked back up at me. “I just wanted to make sure you were okay.”

I could feel my heartbeat in my eyes. I could hear the blood rushing through my veins.

I kind of didn’t really want him to leave.

I wanted him to…

“Goodnight, Damien,” he said quietly. “I will see you tomorrow.”

He started turning around to walk away, but I grabbed his upper arm and stopped him.

“What are we, Elijah?” I asked, my voice trembling.

I didn’t know what came over me. I didn’t know why I stopped him from walking away. I didn’t know why I liked the feeling of his muscles under my palm. I didn’t know what I wanted him to say. I didn’t know what answer I wanted to hear.

Elijah took a deep breath and released it slowly.

“We are two people who make each other very nervous,” he said quietly and my heart skipped a beat.

I made him nervous?

I tightened my hold on his upper arm.

“Is that the answer you wanted?” he asked, but I didn’t know how to respond.

I remained silent. I couldn't help but glance at his lips. I wondered if they were as soft as they looked.

“Goodnight, Damien,” he repeated quietly.

He was just about to pull his arm out of my hold when I pulled him back and captured his lips with mine.

I needed to know if they were as soft and as warm as I imagined them to be.

They were so much more. They were fucking perfect.

Elijah grunted and opened his mouth for me. I slid my tongue in his mouth and my body exploded with desire I felt.

Elijah reached out and tangled his fingers into my hair. I reached under his shirt and moaned when I felt the perfection of his body under my fingertips.

“Fuck, Damien,” Elijah mumbled quietly as he lowered his lips and started kissing my neck gently.

I tilted my head to give him better access. I closed my eyes and let myself enjoy his kisses and his touches.

I was in heaven and I never wanted to leave.