Chapter 29

Alexander's POV

I heard footsteps approaching and I looked behind me.

Eli walked in and he immediately looked at Sophia.

"How is she?" he asked as he walked around the couch and sat next to me.

He leaned in and kissed her forehead. He didn't even give me a chance to respond to his question.

"Hey, honey," he mumbled. "I miss you so much. Wake up, please."

"Can you please make her some tea and some soup?" I asked. "She will need something warm to eat when she wakes up."

I was hoping it would be soon. She was a bit warmer and a little bit of color returned to her cheeks.

"Of course," Eli said as he ran his fingers through his hair. "I will make some for all of us. We need to warm up a bit."

I nodded and looked back down at my baby. Eli kissed her forehead one more time before he stood up and walked to the kitchen.

I caressed my baby's cheek and pressed her even closer to me.

"Come on, my baby," I mumbled. "Open those beautiful eyes."

I gulped and tried to take a deep breath. I was terrified of what she would do when she woke up. I was terrified of what she would say. Would she hate me? Would she be afraid of me?

"I envy you a bit," William mumbled, making me look up at him.

I furrowed my eyebrows. He envied me for what?

He sighed and looked at Sophia.

"Because of your relationship with her," he answered my silent question. "She already trusts you so much. I am sure that she wouldn't want to wake up in anyone else's arms."

I smiled and looked down at her. He was right. She did trust me the most.

But what if that changed? What if she didn't trust me anymore? What if she didn't want anything to do with me anymore?

I caressed her cheek and took a deep breath.

"I just hope Damien didn't ruin it," I mumbled. "I don't know what I will do if she doesn't trust me anymore."

William was silent for a moment.

"You will build it up again," he said and I looked up at him.

He ran his fingers through his hair and sighed.

"It kind of pains me to say it, but she will need you the most when she wakes up," he mumbled and I could hear jealousy in his voice. "You are the only one who can convince her that Damien lied."

William looked at her and tightened his jaw.

"If she wakes up and doesn't trust you anymore, you will do whatever you have to do to gain her trust again," he added. "You are the only one who can do it, Alex. The rest of us have a longer way to go than you."

I took a deep breath and looked at my baby. I lifted her head a little so I could lean it against my shoulder. I kissed her cheek and started rocking her gently.

"Your brother is right, Sophia," I told her. "You need to wake up so I can assure you that Damien lied. You need to wake up so I can tell you how much I love you."

I leaned my cheek on her forehead and closed my eyes.

"Come on, baby," I mumbled for what felt like a hundredth time. "Come back to your big brother."

My heart almost jumped out of my chest when I heard her grunt quietly.

I gasped and looked down at her.