Chapter 18

Lucas' POV

Seth walked inside the kitchen and I jumped to my feet.

"Where is she?" I asked, looking behind him and hoping to see me cutie.

"Alexander took her for a walk outside," Seth said. "She was a little bit overwhelmed."

"Is she suicidal?" Damien asked, making me turn around abruptly.

I gasped loudly and shook my head.

"She isn't!" I exclaimed. "She is safe! She is loved! She wouldn't take her own life!"

I couldn't even imagine it. I felt like burning everything to the ground just thinking about it. She wasn't suicidal. She would never hurt herself. She saw how much we loved her. She was safe here. She wouldn't do that to us. She wouldn't do that to me.

Damien ignored me completely. He kept his eyes on Seth. His arms were crossed over his chest and he kept clenching his jaw.

"I can't rule it out yet," Seth said and I turned back to look at him.

My eyes widened and I could feel my heart break inside my chest.

"I couldn't get much out of her, but that was to be expected," Seth said as he approached the table and sat down. "It will take some time until she opens up to me."

I clenched my fists and gulped.

"How can you know that she is suicidal if she didn't open up?" I asked, trying to swallow the lump in my throat.

I was going to choke. My emotions were building up in my throat and I was going to fucking choke.

"I can't," Seth said. "That's why I can't rule it out. Based on the things you've told me and the things I saw in her chart, that little girl has been through hell. I wouldn't be surprised if she was suicidal. I wouldn't be surprised if she tried to take her own life already."

I flinched hard.

No. Not her. Not my cutie. She wouldn't do that. She wouldn't.

"What should we do?" Eli asked, his voice laced with pain.

Seth sighed and ran his fingers through his hair.

"Keep an eye on her at all times," he said. "Remove every sharp object from her room. Make sure that her medicine isn't in her room. It would be best if one of you gave it to her. It wouldn't be bad if you went through the bags she brought from their house. There could be something she could use to hurt herself in those bags."

I wanted to scream at him. There wasn't anything in her bags! She wouldn't hurt herself!

"Most importantly, be there for her," Seth added softly. "Show her how much you love her. Talk to her, spend time with her, and be patient. She already started opening up. It will get easier with time. Don't give up on her."

I would never do that. She was my baby sister. I would never give up on her.

"She's been through hell," Seth added quietly, his voice laced with pain. "She doesn't know how it feels to be loved. She doesn't know what being safe means. It will take time for her to get familiar with those things, but don't give up, please. Don't hurt that little girl more than she had already been hurt. She wouldn't survive that."

I tightened my jaw and I had to hold back tears.

"We would never hurt her," Eli said quietly. "We love her so much."

Seth looked at Eli and smiled warmly.

"Tell her that every day until she believes it," Seth said.

Eli tightened his jaw and nodded.