Chapter 11

Alexander’s POV

I kept staring at her beautiful face.

I was completely speechless. I had no idea what to say or what to do. She told those things like she was a robot. She told them like they meant nothing. She told them like she had made her peace with the fact that she would die here.

Why was she so calm when she was talking about it?

I looked up at my brother, William, Damien, and Lucas. All of them had shocked expressions on their faces. Lucas looked like he was going to throw up. He was standing behind Damien and there wasn’t a trace of color on his face. Damien looked empty. William was pissed as fuck.

My brother was wiping the tears off his cheeks, but it was useless. The tears kept falling out of his eyes.

I looked back at my baby and took a deep breath. I caressed her cheeks and leaned in to kiss her forehead.

“They lied, baby,” I said softly. “We didn’t know what they were doing to you. We never told them to do those things. We didn’t take you back to get some sort of revenge on you. We won’t hurt you, Sophia. They lied.”

Her eyebrows furrowed a little.

“They lied, baby,” I said, my voice breaking. “We love you so much and we will never hurt you.”

I heard footsteps approaching us and I looked up to see my brother sitting down next to Sophia and me. I moved my hands from her cheeks so Eli could see her.

“You are incredibly important to us, honey,” Eli said as he tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear. “I know it will take time for you to believe us, but we do love you. We want what’s best for you. We will never hurt you and you will never go back to those monsters.”

“You are free, Sophia,” I added softly. “The nightmare you were in is over, baby.”

She hadn’t said a word, but I could swear that I saw tears in her eyes.

My heart clenched and I pulled her into my arms. I held her as tightly as I could and I started rocking us back and forth.

“Oh, my baby,” I said quietly. “You are home. You are safe.”

Eli placed his hand on her back and leaned in to kiss her temple.

“I love you, honey,” Eli mumbled quietly.

I took a deep breath and looked at William. He was still standing in the same spot. His fists were clenched and his eyes were filled with anger. I placed my hand on Sophia’s head and kept her close to me. I didn’t want her to see the look on his face. I didn’t want her to think that he was angry at her.

Well, she would never look at him without being told to, but I still didn’t want to take any chances.

“I need to examine her,” Damien said coldly.

Eli and I looked at him. His face was void of any emotion and I wasn’t sure if Sophia should see that too.

I tightened my hold on her. I knew that Damien was right, but I didn’t want him to touch her. I didn’t want him to scare her.

“Get her downstairs, Alexander,” Damien said as he turned around and stormed past Lucas.

I looked at my baby and kissed her temple.

“Your brother is a doctor, baby,” I said softly. “He will look at your injuries, okay?”

She didn’t say anything, but she tensed up.