Chapter 38

William’s POV

I opened the door of Sophia’s room and peered inside. I smiled when I saw her asleep on Alex’s chest.

Alex looked at me and gave me a small smile.

“Is everything okay?” he asked me.

I nodded and walked into the room. I approached the bed and kneeled next to it. I leaned in and placed a kiss on her cheek. She was sound asleep.

I smiled a little as I ran my fingers through her hair.

“I have a question,” I said quietly, looking up at Alex.

He gave me a small nod and waited for me to continue.

“I thought about bringing my mom out here,” I said, making Alex’s eyes widen. “I think that Sophia could use a female figure in her life.”

Alex was silent for a moment.

“No,” he said. “She is not her mother. Sophia doesn’t need her. She has us.”

I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair.

“She does, Alex,” I said. “But we are men. Maybe she doesn’t feel comfortable talking to us about certain things. I think it would be good for her mental health if she had a woman in her life.”

Alex tightened his hold on Sophia.

“I don’t think that’s a good idea,” Alex said, shaking his head. “Your mother didn’t want to keep Sophia. She wanted her gone.”

I narrowed my eyes at Alex.

“So did your father, Alex,” I said, trying to keep the anger out of my voice. “You said once that Sophia was lucky your father let her live.”

Alex clenched his jaw and took a deep breath.

“He said that because he was hurt,” Alex mumbled. “He said it in anger. He said it because he thought she was his child and he was completely destroyed after he found out that she wasn’t.”

Alex sighed and looked down at Sophia.

“He would never have hurt her,” he added quietly. “He loved her even though she wasn’t his.”

Alex looked up at me and narrowed his eyes.

“What about your mother?” he asked. “Why do you think she would want to have anything to do with Sophia?”

I looked at my Sunshine and smiled.

“Because Sophia is wonderful,” I said softly. “My mom will love her. I am sure of it.”

Alex took a deep breath and shook his head.

“I don’t know, Will,” he said. “I am not sure if I’m okay with it. I am not sure if Eli will be okay with it.”

I caressed Sophia’s cheek and leaned in to kiss her temple.

“We can talk to him about it,” I said, looking up at Alex. “I won’t bring her here until we discuss it.”

Alex sighed and looked down at Sophia. He pressed her closer to him and kissed her cheek.

“My baby,” he mumbled quietly.

I smiled and stood up.

“Come on, Alex,” I said. “Let’s go talk to the rest of our brothers.”

Alex looked up at me like I was insane.

“I am not going to leave her,” he said. “She has nightmares when she sleeps alone.”