Chapter 26

Damien’s POV

My entire body was trembling, not because of the cold, but because I was terrified.

Where was she? Was she even outside? Maybe she was somewhere inside the house. Why the fuck did she leave? Why would she do this? She had to know that she wouldn’t last long in this cold. She had to know that she would…

And then I figured it out.

She wanted to die. She left on purpose. She knew what would happen.

“Sophia!” I screamed so loud I felt my throat burning.

I tried to look around but I couldn’t see anything except snow and trees.

“Baby, please!” Alexander cried out loudly. “It’s Alex, baby. Please answer me!”

My heart was going to jump out of my body. I couldn't lose her. Not her. Not my…

“Sophia!” I screamed again as I ran further into the forest.

She couldn’t have gotten far. My limbs were already numb from the cold and I was in much better shape than she was. I seriously doubted that she even put some clothes on. She was probably just in her pajamas. She had to be close by.

She fucking had to be.

“Soph!” Luke shouted, his voice breaking. “Where are you, cutie?”

Snow was falling into my face and it was getting harder and harder to see. Will and Elijah had their phones and they were using the flashlight on their phones to help us see. But it was still too fucking dark. I still couldn't see. I still couldn't find her.

I looked at Elijah and my heart clenched painfully. He looked so scared. He was crying silently and looking around while mumbling her name. I wished that I could take his pain away. I wished that I could…

He looked at me and my heart stopped. He clenched his fists and tightened his jaw. Another tear fell on his cheek.

“Sophia!” William screamed, making me flinch and look at him.

I’d never seen my brother so afraid. He looked like he was about to have a heart attack.

“Baby, please!” Alexander cried out again.

I started clenching my fists, trying to get my blood to run faster. I could feel my limbs getting numb and I couldn't let that happen. I had to find her and bring her home.

Luke screamed so loud that I thought I would go deaf. I saw him run further ahead and he threw himself into the snow.

“Sophia!” Alexander screamed.

I ran toward Luke and saw her lying in the snow. I almost started sobbing. She was pale and her lips were blue. I wasn’t sure if she was breathing.

Every ache in my body suddenly disappeared. Fear made my heart race and my blood started running through my body so fast that I became a little dizzy.

Everyone threw themselves next to her. Everyone was sobbing loudly and trying to pull her out. I stopped them and they looked at me like I was insane.

“She has hypothermia,” I said as I crouched next to her. “We have to be gentle or she could go into cardiac arrest. Let me take her.”

I didn’t know how I was keeping it together so well. I wanted to rip her to me, hold her tightly, and sob. I wanted to kiss her beautiful face and tell her how she did such a stupid thing by leaving.

But I was a doctor and I needed to help her. I needed to make sure that she stayed alive.

I picked her up gently and gulped. I couldn't see her chest moving and I couldn’t check her pulse while I was holding her close to me. Someone placed their jacket on top of her. It wouldn’t do any good, but I didn’t want to tell them that. We needed to dry her and get her out of those wet clothes.

We started running back toward the house. I kept my eyes on her the entire time.

Thankfully, she didn’t make it far and we were back at the house only a few minutes later.

“Should I make a warm bath for her?” Luke asked, his voice laced with panic. “We need to warm her up.”

“No,” I said as I rushed toward the couch. “No baths and no hot water bottles. We need to get her out of these clothes, dry her, and warm her up slowly with blankets.”

I heard footsteps running away from us. I placed her on the couch and took a deep breath. I needed to calm down just a little before I checked her pulse. Alexander was next to me. He looked like he had been to hell and back. He was sobbing and shaking his head.

I kneeled next to her and placed my fingers on her pulse point.

“Please,” I mumbled and closed my eyes.

I almost sobbed in relief when I felt a weak beat. She was alive.

“Damien?” Alexander cried out.

“She is alive,” I mumbled as I checked her breathing.

It was weak, but it was there.

“Oh, baby,” Alexander cried out as he grabbed her hand and kissed her knuckles. “You are okay, my baby, You are okay.”

My brothers and Elijah ran toward us carrying blankets and towels.

I started removing her wet pajamas and Elijah started drying her hair with the towel. My brothers gasped when they saw the full extent of her injuries. They hadn’t seen her whole body before. I did.

I looked up at their horrified faces.

“It looks much better now,” I mumbled. “It’s healing.”

Will looked at me and the fury I saw in his eyes made me flinch. He was going to rip James and Elizabeth apart. We were all going to rip them apart.

I grabbed a towel and looked back down at her. I started drying her body carefully. She was so fucking cold and so fucking pale. Her lips were completely blue.

“Why was she out there?” Luke cried out. “Why did she leave?”

I looked at Elijah and saw him close his eyes. A tear fell on his cheek and my heart broke for the millionth time that night.

“What the hell happened?” Luke continued. “Why did she do that? Didn’t she know what would happen?”

I glanced up at my brother and gulped.

“She knew, Luke,” I mumbled as I threw the towel to the floor and grabbed a blanket. “She wanted it to happen.”

I started wrapping her up in the blanket. The room was completely silent. I continued wrapping her up in blankets. My hands were shaking and I wanted to punch a wall.

“She heard us talking,” Elijah mumbled after a few minutes of silence. “She heard you say that we would give her away.”

I froze and my heart stopped beating.

“What?” Will asked angrily. “What the fuck are you talking about, Elijah?”

I looked at Elijah and the anger I saw in his eyes made my stomach twist.

“Damien and I were talking outside Sophia's room before she left,” Elijah said, keeping his eyes on me. “Damien said that we would give Sophia away. She must have heard him. That had to be the reason she left.”

No.

No, no, no, no, no!

She didn’t hear me! She was sleeping! She couldn't have heard me!

“What the fuck is wrong with you, Damien?!” Luke screamed at me. “I will beat the crap out of you! Get up, you fucking piece of shit!”

I heard Will drag Luke away from me. I ignored them. I looked at Sophia and my heart almost gave out.

Was Elijah right? Was this my fault? Did she leave because of what I said?

I didn’t mean it. I didn’t fucking mean it. I wouldn't let anyone take her from us. I wouldn't let anyone take her from me.

A sob broke through my lips and my head fell on her wrapped-up body.

“I am sorry,” I cried out. “I am so fucking sorry.”