Chapter 31

Damien's POV

I was lying in bed and staring at the ceiling. I couldn't sleep. My entire body felt like I’d been punched over and over again. My heart felt shattered. I was so fucking angry at myself and I just wanted to rip my own heart out.

I was an idiot. I was such a fucking idiot.

I always hated myself so fucking much, but now I just wanted to disappear. I wanted to hurt myself just like I hurt her. I wanted to hurt myself just like I hurt my brothers. I wanted to suffer. I wanted to take all the pain to myself and let it destroy me.

I wasn’t worth anything. I wasn’t worth their forgiveness. I wasn’t worth their love. They should have shot me the moment Elijah told them what I did. They should have kicked me out of the house. I should have died in that snow just like she wanted to.

I groaned and ran my fingers through my hair.

I really wanted to hurt myself. I deserved this pain, but I wanted more. I deserved more. I deserved to bleed and scream. I deserved it all.

I tightened my jaw and closed my eyes.

There was nothing I could do. I did so much fucking damage and they all hated me. Worst of all, Sophia hated me. She had every right to, but it still hurt so fucking much. I just wished that there was something I could do to take it all back. I wanted to go back to the moment I said it and stop myself. I wanted to go back and go inside her room instead. I wanted to go back, approach her bed, and tell her how fucking much I loved her.

I wanted it all, but I would never have it. I would never…

Quiet footsteps interrupted my thoughts. The footsteps were approaching my room and I got confused.

I lifted my head and furrowed my eyebrows.

Who the hell was that? Everyone was exhausted and asleep.

If it was Elijah again I would kick him out. I didn’t want him in my room again. The last time he was here I almost…

No, I didn’t want him here.

The footsteps stopped in front of my room and I waited for his knock.

Except it never came.

I listened, trying to figure out what the hell was he doing, but I couldn’t hear anything.

“Fuck, Elijah,” I mumbled as I stood up and started walking toward the door.

I heard him walking away and my annoyance started growing. What the fuck was he doing? He should have walked inside my room and told me what the hell he wanted.

“What do you…,” I started speaking when I opened the door, but I stopped when my eyes landed on…

I gasped and grabbed the doorknob tightly.

“Sophia,” I mumbled.

She was staring at me wide-eyed.

I looked behind her, expecting to see Alexander running at me like an enraged bull, but the hallway was empty.

“What are you doing here?” I asked, looking back at her. “Why are you awake?”

She gulped and started clenching and unclenching her fists. I noticed that she was barefoot and my protectiveness exploded out of me.

“Where are your slippers, Sophia?” I asked as I approached her. “You are going to get sick.”

I took her hand in mine and pulled her into my room. I looked around until I saw my slippers.