Chapter 35

William’s POV

I glanced at Alex and took a deep breath.

I knew that she would ask about her parents someday. I knew we would have to tell her everything that happened. I knew it would be hard on us because we still blamed each other for everything.

We were enemies. We came together for her, but we were enemies.

I tightened my jaw and sat down next to Alex and Sophia. I reached out for her and Alex raised an eyebrow.

“I need to hold her if I’m going to do this,” I said, making Alex sigh.

I needed something to calm me down and she was exactly what I needed.

Alex kissed the top of her head and moved his arms so I could take her. I smiled and pulled her onto my lap.

“My Sunshine,” I said as I hugged her tightly.

She hugged me back and I almost melted into a puddle. I knew she felt most comfortable with Alex, but she was slowly opening up to all of us and I couldn't be happier.

I kissed the top of her head and took another deep breath. I looked at my brothers and Alex and Elijah, who was now sitting at the table next to Damien.

“No accusations, am I clear?” I said sternly. “We will tell her the truth. We will tell her exactly as it happened.”

“Will is right,” Alex spoke before anyone else could. “I don’t want this to turn into a fight. She doesn’t need that.”

The rest of our brothers nodded.

I looked at my sister and gave her a small smile. I caressed her cheek and breathed out slowly.

“Your mom and dad fell in love about three years before you were born,” I started speaking. “They were seeing each other very often. Our dad said multiple times that he loved your mom very, very much.”

It was hard for me to say that, but it was the truth. Our dad did love her mom. He loved her a lot.

“Our mom loved him just as much,” Alex added, reaching out and taking Sophia's hand in his. “And they both loved you, baby. They loved you so, so much.”

Sophia took a deep breath and gulped. I placed a hand on her head and pressed her closer to me.

“Our dad believed that you were his,” Alex continued and I could hear pain in his voice. “He was thrilled. He always wanted a girl.”

Alex stopped talking and tightened his jaw.

“But our dad couldn't let another man take his child,” I continued. “Especially not his enemy.”

Sophia looked up at me and furrowed her eyebrows.

“But why were they enemies?” she asked. “Why do you hate each other so much?”

I glanced at Alex and saw him shaking his head. We would tell her the truth about her parents, but it was not the time for everything else. She just started trusting us. I didn’t want her to be afraid of us.

“We were always business rivals, Sunshine,” I said, giving her a part of the whole truth. “We were always in the same business and we wanted the other one to fail.”

Sophia looked at Alex.

“What about now?” she asked. “Are you enemies now?”

I looked at my brothers. Luke was shaking his head. Damien glanced at Elijah, who raised an eyebrow at Alex.