Chapter 16

Elijah’s POV

“Soph!” Lucas exclaimed, making me turn around.

Alex walked into the kitchen, holding Sophia's hand in his. She was looking around with a scared and confused expression on her face.

Lucas grabbed her and hugged her tightly.

“Hi, cutie,” he said. “I missed you.”

I could tell that she was uncomfortable. She glanced at Alex and he squeezed her hand. He didn’t try to move Lucas away.

“Did you sleep well?” Lucas asked as he let her go and caressed her cheek.

She looked at him and nodded.

I was so fucking proud of her. She did it all by herself. No one had to order her to answer.

“Are you hungry, honey?” I asked, making her look at me. “I am making pancakes.”

She furrowed her eyebrows a little.

“She has to eat,” Damien said as he walked into the kitchen. “Don’t ask her. Tell her.”

“Damien,” Alex said angrily.

“Fuck off, Alexander,” Damien said angrily. “She needs food. I am not letting her starve or get sick. She won’t eat unless we tell her to eat.”

Alex clenched his fists and tightened his jaw. Lucas pulled Sophie from him and guided her toward the table.

“Don’t worry about them, cutie,” Lucas said as he pulled out a chair for her. “All they ever do is fight.”

Sophie kept looking at Alex and I could tell that she felt uncomfortable without him. Alex and Damien were whispering something angrily. They made sure that she couldn't hear them, though.

“Do you want your pancakes with Nutella or with syrup?” Lucas asked her.

“How about both?” I said as I approached her and placed a plate filled with pancakes on the table.

I kissed the top of her head and she looked up at me. I smiled and caressed her cheek.

“Don’t force yourself to eat, honey,” I said softly. “Eat as much as you can, okay?”

She didn’t respond, but she didn’t look away from me either. I leaned in and kissed her forehead.

“I love you, honey,” I told her softly.

I loved her so much and I couldn't believe that I didn’t save her from those monsters sooner. I should have done something. I should have visited her. I should have called.

Lucas sat next to her and placed a pancake on her plate.

“Do you want to try both, cutie?” Lucas asked, making her look back at her plate. “I prefer Nutella, but they are tasty with syrup as well.”

Sophia nodded and Lucas smiled brightly. He grabbed the syrup bottle just as William walked into the kitchen.

“Enough,” he said coldly, staring at Damien and Alex. “I am sick of the two of you bickering constantly.”

He looked at Sophie and she visibly tensed up. I placed my hands on her shoulders and kissed the top of her head.

William gulped and clenched his jaw. He approached the table and sat down without even looking at her. I rolled my eyes and looked at my brother. He sighed and shook his head before walking toward the table. He sat next to Sophie and she immediately took his hand in hers.