uǝǝʇɟᴉɟ ɹǝʇdɐɥɔ

[OP] Randomly register an account. Posted on Fabruary 18, 2017, 16:01:29

My sister was very angry that I didn't tell her about my leg fracture. She scolded me in the car, while my brother-in-law was driving and trying to plead on my behalf. But I know that if it were my sister with a broken leg, she wouldn't have told me either. After all, we are siblings, cut from the same cloth, equally stubborn, and neither of us wants to burden the other.

After I returned to X City, my sister wanted me to stay at her and her husband's place, but I found it inconvenient. Besides, I had the cast removed from my leg, and my foot was recovering well, so I insisted on living alone in the house our mother left us. My sister understood that she couldn't persuade me and could only suggest that I come over to her place for meals on weekends.

The company didn't give me much time to recover. As soon as I settled in, I had to get back to work. Even though it was the same company, all the colleagues were new, and it took a bit of getting used to. The manager in X City somehow got wind of some information and during the Monday morning meeting, he praised me excessively, saying all sorts of things about me from head to toe, which felt a bit exaggerated, and I noticed some strange expressions from the others.

I was assigned to the first group, which I heard had the heaviest workload. The team leader, who looked to be around 40 years old, was a man, and his stern appearance gave away his seriousness. Let's just call him Lao Wang. After the meeting, Lao Wang called me into his office. He started by asking about my background and ended with some cryptic words:

"In our group, work ability comes first. It doesn't matter how well connected you are, or where you graduated from. If your work isn't up to par, I'll eventually let you go."

Me: ???

Honestly, I didn't feel welcomed at all during our conversation, and it felt more like I was an unwanted burden placed into the group. Did Lao Wang think I got in through connections? I didn't bother to explain much; just like how you know a donkey when you take it out for a walk, you'd know soon enough. However, I was disappointed by a leader who questioned an employee's ability without reason.

My colleagues in the group were relatively polite to me, but on the first day, they didn't assign me any substantial tasks. All day long, I was copying documents and replying to emails.

To put it straight, I'm a programmer – what people commonly refer to as a "coder." Our company develops programs for other companies' websites, and our products are various types of software. I knew Lao Wang's group was working on a game program, which piqued my interest. However, they didn't call me for the team meeting on Monday afternoon...

Just when I was eagerly looking forward to starting a new life, life blindsided me unexpectedly. That's how it is, isn't it? Destiny, that little rascal, wouldn't make things easy for you.

All in all, my first day at the new company involved me being inexplicably isolated by my superiors.

After work, my mood wasn't great. I was contemplating how to gain my superiors' approval when the phone rang. It was an unknown number, and without much thought, I answered it.