uǝǝʇɟᴉɟ ɐɹʇxǝ

The elevator doors opened, and Mo Xi looked up to see several square characters written on the doorframe - "Intensive Care Unit." He pushed open the door and walked in. It was much quieter here than the bustling obstetrics and gynecology department. The patients in the ICU were all on the brink of death, and their family members sat in chairs with solemn expressions, not speaking. The air was so quiet it felt frozen.

In the innermost seats, two people were seated with their heads down - one of them was likely Xiao Jun, and the other person bore a striking resemblance to Pei Hao.

"Brother-in-law," Mo Xi called out.

The two people on the chairs turned their heads to look at him.

Beside Xiao Jun, the other person was indeed Pei Hao!

Mo Xi's heart skipped a beat. It felt like something was lodged in his chest, making him uncomfortable. Even though they had broken up over two years ago, he couldn't completely erase this person from his heart. Seeing him still stirred up emotions.

Xiao Jun's face was ashen, his eyes deeply sunken in their sockets, while Pei Hao's expression was grave. When he saw Mo Xi, a flicker of light appeared in his eyes.

Mo Xi didn't have time to ask why Pei Hao was here; right now, nothing was more important than his sister.

"Why are you here?" Xiao Jun was surprised. Mo Xi hadn't mentioned that he was coming back on the phone yesterday.

Mo Xi didn't answer Xiao Jun's question. Instead, he walked straight to him and Pei Hao, tightly pursing his lips, and anxiously asked, "How's my sister?"

"She's been undergoing emergency treatment all night, and she's still in a coma," Xiao Jun replied, full of anxiety.

He didn't know how to explain to Mo Xi. Should he say that his sister had lost too much blood and went into shock yesterday, or that they had received two critical condition notices last night? He felt that Mo Xi wouldn't be able to accept any of it.

From the moment Mo Xi entered the room, Pei Hao's eyes hadn't left him. After half a year of not seeing each other, Mo Xi had lost some weight compared to before. The baby fat on his cheeks was gone, probably due to the combination of work and studying. Pei Hao felt an itching and painful sensation as if he were being gnawed at by tiny bugs. He wanted to hold Mo Xi in his arms.

He pulled Mo Xi to the seat beside him and said, "You probably haven't eaten. Let me order some lunch."

Xiao Jun shook his head. "I'm not hungry, don't worry about me."

Mo Xi turned to exchange a look with Pei Hao, then remembered to ask him why he was here. Pei Hao leaned in close to his ear and whispered, "Your brother-in-law called me asking for money, so I came."

Mo Xi looked at him skeptically, then glanced at Xiao Jun, and finally lowered his head without saying anything. If what Pei Hao said was true, questioning him now would embarrass Xiao Jun. When his sister had an accident, neither he nor his father were around. They didn't have money either. Mo Xi knew about Xiao Jun's family. Both of their parents were ordinary labor workers who had saved their whole lives to help Xiao Jun buy a house and pay the down payment. Perhaps he really had no other choice but to turn to Pei Hao for help.