Chapter 2

When the alarm went off the next morning, Talia groaned in pain.  Jenna shut off the alarm, and scrolled through her phone, looking for her boss's number.  “I’m going to call off,” she said, pressing the call button.

“No!” Talia roared, grabbing Jenna’s phone and ending the call.  “You need to go to work,” she all but shouted at her, dropping Jenna’s phone, before she laid back down with a grimace. 

Jenna stared at her friend, shocked by her outburst.  Being hurt made Talia cranky.  “Taliah …”

She turned her head and glared at her overly helpful roommate.  “Jenna, please.  I want to be alone.  Go to work.  I’ll be fine here by myself.  If I need help, I can call down to the cafe.”

Jenna reached up and grabbed Talia’s shirt, lifting it and noticing that her bandage was seeping blood.  “You’re not okay.  I’m not leaving you alone.  What if you pass out while I’m gone or worse?” Jenna glared at her, growing frustrated.  Why was she so difficult?

“I’ll be fine.  I need you to leave so I can sh …” she stopped and threw a hand over her mouth, shocked at what she’d almost said. 

Jenna raised an eyebrow at her.  “So you can do what? Seriously Talia.  You’re pissing me off.  I’m just trying to help you!”

Talia sighed and closed her eyes, muttering under her breath about insufferable roommates, before she turned her head to look at Jenna.  “What I’m about to tell you CANNOT leave this apartment.  You cannot tell anyone.  Promise?”

Jenna frowned as several different scenarios ran through her head.  She knew Talia had secrets, but nothing could prepare her for the one she was about to lay on Jenna.  She nodded.

“Say it out loud, Jenna.  Tell me you promise,” Talia prompted, sitting up on the bed.

“I promise,” Jenna agreed, watching her warily.  She couldn’t think of anything Talia would make her keep secret that wasn’t a crime.  Aiding and abetting?

Talia took a deep breath and let it out slowly before closing her eyes.  “I’m a werewolf.”

What?  Her roommate was a werewolf?  Had she hit her head when she was attacked? Jenna laughed a little.  “Okay.” She met Talia’s gaze and saw that she wasn’t smiling.  In fact, she looked dead serious. 

Talia stood up and moved over to the middle of the room, and pulled her shirt over her head, before slipping her shorts off.  She grabbed the bandage covering her stomach and pulled it off with a grimace. 

Jenna frowned as she watched her friend.  At least her wound had stopped bleeding.  For now.  But why was she.. “Talia, what are you doing?”

“Don’t freak out,” she said, and suddenly, the sound of cracking bones filled the room as Talia shifted into a big red wolf.

Don’t freak out?  Don’t freak out?  To say Jenna was shocked would be an understatement.  Her legs gave way, and she sat down hard on the bed, staring at the wolf who now stood where Talia once had. 

Werewolves were real?  Talia was a werewolf.  Whoa.  Had she been attacked by a werewolf and become one?  Was this her big secret?  Was she attacked by one last night?  Jenna suddenly wasn’t sure she wanted to stay in New York anymore, if the city was inhabited by killer werewolves and they were randomly attacking people in the streets.  But then, she realized she was in an apartment alone with a giant wolf and fear came over her as she slowly pulled her legs up on the bed. 

The wolf whimpered, then sat down, before laying on her side.  Jenna watched the big beast  curiously.  She didn’t seem interested in attacking, and after several moments, Jenna heard the sounds of bones cracking again and Talia sat in front of her.   She eyed her friend warily.  “Say something, Jenna,” she whispered.

Jenna snapped her mouth shut, realizing that it was hanging open.  “Does that hurt?” It was the first thing that popped into her mind.

Talia smirked.  “No.”

“How did you become a werewolf?  Were you attacked by one?  Is that why you have claw marks?”  Jenna asked, trying to piece it all together in her head.  “I’m so glad you’re not a criminal,” she muttered under her breath.

Talia gave her a weird look before she stood slowly, and pulled her clothes back on.  Jenna’s gaze flickered over her wounds, and she noticed that they already looked better.  She blinked in surprise. 

Talia sat back down on the bed next to Jenna.  “Yes, I was attacked by a werewolf,” she started. “But he didn’t turn me into one.  I was born this way.  You thought I was a criminal?”

“Well, what was I supposed to think with you not wanting me to share your secrets?  Wait, you were born as a werewolf? Are your parents werewolves too?”  Jenna felt her jaw drop open.  Yup, totally mind blown.

Talia nodded and smiled, then grew serious.  “But Jenna, you can never tell a living soul about werewolves, okay?”

She nodded.  Who would believe her anyway?  She’d sound crazy if she told anyone. 

“This is very important.  I broke Werewolf Law by telling you.  If anyone were to ever find out, both of our lives would be forfeit,” Talia said solemnly, studying her friend to make sure Jenna realized how important this was. 

Jenna swallowed hard.  “I promise I will never tell anyone.”

Talia nodded.  “Good, but that doesn’t mean we can’t talk about it when we’re alone. It’s actually kind of a relief that you know.”  She smiled.  “Shifting will help me to heal faster, so how about you make us some breakfast and let me rest for a bit as my wolf.  Her name is Lila.”

Jenna nodded slowly as she stared at her roommate, still in shock.  “She won’t … hurt me, will she? I mean, you’re not going to kill me on the full moon, are you?”

Talia hugged Jenna, then gave her a small smile.  “No.  Lila loves you like a sister.  She adores you.  She would never hurt you.  Besides, if we wanted to kill you, you’d be dead.  We’ve been living together for three months now.”

“Wait, we? So, she’s like a separate being from you?”  Jenna asked curiously.

“Yes, and no.  She can talk to me in my head, and I can feel how she feels, and she senses my feelings.  We don’t always agree.  But she’s my best friend, and I can’t imagine my life without her.”  Talia smiled.  “Now, go make us some breakfast and let me shift