Chapter 56

Jenna walked down the hall and knocked on Daniel's parents door, which was immediately opened by Charlotte.

"Jenna! Good morning!" Charlotte gave her a hug.

"Morning." Jenna responded, hugging her back. She wondered how old Charlotte was. The woman looked no older than her, but she guessed that Charlotte had to be closer to four hundred.

"Hello my love," she said to Noelle. "May I?"

Jenna handed her over, and followed Charlotte inside. Caleb was seated on the couch, and Charlotte sat down next to him. Ragnar was seated in the large rocking chair, Matthew again in his arms, while he gave him a bottle. "Morning Luna," he smiled up at her.

"Good morning. Is Talia in her room?" She asked.

"Yeah, she is. She hasn't came out at all." Ragnar looked at her door and Jenna saw a look of sorrow cross his face. Maybe Talia and he were old friends.

"Thanks." Jenna turned and walked down the hall, stopping in front of the closed door. She knocked, then opened it.

It was almost as though Talia hadn't moved. Jenna laid down behind her again, spooning her friend and holding her closely.

"Thanks for coming," Talia finally said.

"Anytime. You know I love you like a sister." Jenna strokes back Talia's hair.

"Jenna, I want to give up," Talia whispered.

Jenna stiffened at her words but she could understand them. She'd wanted to give up too when she thought Daniel was dead. Her heart ached for her friend. "Matthew needs you."

"I haven't been a very good mamma to him," Talia said, a shudder passing through her.

"Ragnar was giving him his bottle when I got here," Jenna reassured her.

"He came in and got him this morning. Jenna, there's something about him. He calms me," Talia sighed.

"Like a mate would?" She said it without thinking, remembering Daniel's words to her last night.

"We don't get second chances," Talia said bitterly. "But yes. I feel guilty about it."

They both remained quiet for a while after that, both lost in thought.

"Daniel is going to change me tomorrow."

Talia rolled on to her back, looking up at her friend in surprise. "He is?"

Jenna nodded.

"What all does that entail?"

"He gives me his blood, a few hours later I shift and then apparently I sleep for a long time to recover." Jenna looked at Talia. "I'd like for you to be there with me when I shift."

Surprise flickered across Talia's face. "You would?"

"Of course, silly. You introduced me to the world of werewolves, educated me on them, and helped me meet Daniel. You could almost say you're partially responsible for me giving birth to a werewolf." She watched a genuine smile touch Talia's lips. "It's only right that you're there when I shift. You're the sister I never had, Talia. I want you there."

"Will Daniel be okay with me being there?" Talia asked.

"It was his idea." Jenna told her.

"Okay. I'll come. Lila wants to be there for you and meet your wolf." Talia took Jenna's hand in her own.

A knock at the door startled them both, and Daniel poked his head in. "Can I come in?"

"Of course," Jenna said.

He walked around the bed and sat down on the other side, looking Talia over. She seemed a bit more relaxed than she had yesterday. "Are you coming to Jenna's shift tomorrow?"

"If that's okay with you, Alpha." Talia bowed her head.

"Talia."

She didn't move.

"Talia, look at me," Daniel said gently.

She lifted her head, and he saw the tears on her cheeks. "I seem to remember asking you to call me Daniel. No one is blaming you for anything that happened except you. I could easily blame myself for asking you to keep a secret that ended in such tragedy, but the only one that gets the blame is Jason and Leon, and they paid for their crimes. You've got to let go of your guilt, Talia, so you can begin to heal. Forgive yourself." Daniel pulled her into his arms, hugging her tightly. "And you're coming tomorrow, even if I have to Alpha order you to."

Talia let loose a small giggle at his words. "I'll come. Just let me know when."

"Good. You've got a little boy who needs you too." Daniel reminded her. "We've got to go get Jenna's stuff."

"Are you living here now?" Talia asked Jenna as she sat back.

"Yes. Right next door. I'll come back and see you later, Talia," Jenna gave her a hug and stood up.

"Okay. Thank you for coming. I really appreciate it," Talia gave her a small smile. "Can you send Ragnar in with Matthew?"

"Of course." Jenna followed Daniel out of the room and back to the living room. Charlotte and Caleb were still seated on the couch, though Caleb now held Noelle. Ragnar was still seated in the chair with a sleeping Matthew. "Talia wants you," Jenna told him. She saw his eyes briefly flicker blue before he nodded and disappeared into her room.

Charlotte stood and crossed the room. "Danny told us he's changing you tomorrow. We'll take care of Noelle while you are out in the woods and help Danny with her while you're sleeping. I gave her another bottle while you were with Talia. She took it just fine." She rubbed Jenna's arm.

Jenna took a deep breath and nodded. "Thank you for everything."

Charlotte hugged her. "You'll be fine. I know it's pointless to say, but don't worry about Noelle. We will keep her safe."

Jenna hugged her back. She really liked Charlotte and hoped to have a good relationship with her. She had a feeling she'd need her, since she couldn't talk to her own mother.