Chapter 47

Charity was seated at the Alpha's desk going through some files. She looked up as Daniel, Talia and Shane walked in.

"Charity, this is Talia," Daniel said, turning back to Talia. "This is my sister, Charity."

Talia bowed her head quietly to the she-wolf.

"Shane, close the door," Daniel walked over to the desk and turned back to them, leaning against the desk. "Now, I'd like to know how my daughter was kidnapped."

Shane stepped forward. "Alpha Jason had four of us follow him to Pennsylvania. He wanted us to stay clear of him the entire time we were there so that no one would suspect we knew each other. He gave us scent neutralizers to use before we even boarded the plane. After his dinner with you, he gave the command for us to follow your mate. He never said what he suspected of her, but two of the other warriors went into the diner that night and followed her home. They staked out her house until she left the next morning to take the princess to her doctor appointment. Somehow, they gathered that Jenna was flying to New York and both Beta Leon and I were commanded to follow her. We were on her flight, and kept up with her during her time there.

We found out about her friend Talia, and Jason ordered us to go to Talia's home and question her. My job was to watch her pup, while the Beta did the questioning. I had no idea he was going to kill her mate. She never said anything until he threatened to kill her pup. Once we had the information we needed, the Beta called Alpha Jason who gave the order for us to bring both Talia and her pup back with us. He ordered the other two warriors to kidnap the princess," Shane explained.

Daniel glanced at Talia. "Is this what happened?"

She nodded. "Shane never did anything except hold my pup. He didn't participate in any of the questioning."

"Shane has had a few run-ins with the Alpha," Charity said, looking down at a folder. "He was about ready to banish you."

Shane sighed and nodded. "I would have left myself and went rogue, but I have a mate and five pups. Alpha Jason was.." he stopped himself. It wouldn't look good to speak ill of his alpha in front of the Alpha King.

"..a tyrant," Charity finished for him as she stood up and approached Shane. "Were you Alpha commanded?"

He nodded. "If he ever saw the slightest bit of hesitancy from anyone, he would issue an Alpha command. Doing what we did to Talia was where I drew the line. If it wasn't for the command, I would have never even gone to her apartment with the Beta."

"There are others that can confirm what he is saying. Jason liked to throw his command around all the time," Charity said.

Do you believe him? Daniel mindlinked his sister.

Yes. He's as much of a victim here as the rest of this pack. Forced to do things he didn't want to, while his alpha abused his Alpha Command. But the Beta, him I'm not sure about, Charity replied.

Ragnar is questioning him. He tried to escape when he saw me get up and shift. They caught him trying to cross the border, Daniel told her.

Charity opened a new file, and read it over. "Shane, how was Leon picked as the beta? He had no standing in the pack before."

Shane's lips pursed together. "He was one of the few in the pack who agreed with everything the Alpha did."

She flipped a page. "He's killed before. One of his own packmates" she murmured, then looked up. "And he was never punished? What's the story behind that?"

"It never took much for the Alpha to banish someone from the pack, and whoever was banished was not allowed to take their family with them. Those left behind were never looked after. Others were forbidden from helping them. The Beta's victim was a twelve year old pup. His father was banished from the pack, and his mother died not long after. He has been taking care of his eight year old sister and his five year old brother. He was caught stealing food, and the Beta killed him," Shane paused for a moment. "Shortly after that, Leon was promoted to Beta."