Chapter 27

The ringing phone pulled Ben Gray out of a deep sleep and he groaned as he rolled over and away from Risa's warm body.  Who the heck was calling at this hour? He glanced at the number. Tyler. Jenna must be in labor.

"Tyler?" He said, answering the phone. Ben glanced at Risa, who was still sleeping. "Is Jenna in labor?"

"It's happening really fast. We don't have time to make it to the clinic," Tyler said, his voice edging on panic.

"Tyler, calm down. You have to stay calm for Jenna. You know what to do. You've done this before. I'll be right there. What's your address?" Ben asked, keeping his own voice calm.

Tyler rattled off the address.

"Okay, I'll be there soon," Ben said and ended the call. He swung his legs over the side of the bed.

"Where are you going?" His mate, Risa, asked sleepily.

"I have to go deliver a baby. You remember me telling you that someone in town is having a baby that's half werewolf?" Ben tossed on a pair of old sweats and a t-shirt. He had a feeling this baby would be born before he got there.

"Mmmm," she murmured, rolling on to her back.

"Well she's in labor," Ben headed into the bathroom.

He exited a moment later and was surprised that Risa was now standing beside the bed, stretching her arms.

His gaze flickered appreciatively over her naked body as images from the night before ran through his mind.

"I'm going with you," she stated, grabbing a bra.

He nodded. "I need to run down to my clinic and grab some stuff first. Meet me down there when you're ready"

Ten minutes later, they were in the SUV flying down the drive to leave the pack territory.

"Does she know her baby is half werewolf?" Risa asked with a yawn

"I don't know," Ben said, his eyes scanning the sides of the road, watching for deer. He'd never found the opportunity to talk to Jenna about it, though he knew he still had time.

"You think she should know?" Risa asked.

"Yes. I know what I went through when I changed. I was so scared, and no one was there for me" Ben reflected, then smiled at his mate when she pulled his hand in hers and squeezed it.

"Of course I would speak to Alpha first, but I think I want to wait a bit. Tyler and Jenna's mother is dying of cancer."

Risa looked at him and frowned. "Oh that's sad."

Ben nodded. "She had it before and it just came back. She doesn't want to go through the treatment anymore."

Risa looked at him in surprise. "Why not?"

"Chemo is hard on you, especially the type Caroline would need. She has a very aggressive type of cancer and it may not even work," Ben said softly. "Even if the cancer didn't kill her, the chemo might."

Risa leaned her head back against the seat, staring out the window, her heart breaking for these people she had yet to meet.

***

Tyler sat in the middle of the bed, counting down the seconds til Dr. Gray got there. Delivering Jenna's baby was the last thing he wanted to do. He was annoyed with her for not telling him she was in labor.  He could have gotten her to the clinic and under Dr. Ben's direct supervision.

He could already see the baby's head crowning and knew it wouldn't be much longer until he would be holding his niece in his arms. Tyler had delivered babies before, but this was different. He was home, surrounded by people he knew and loved. What if something went wrong? Jenna's labor had happened fast. He hoped Dr. Gray got there soon. He looked at his sister, who was sweating profusely and had tears streaming down her cheeks.