Chapter 3

2 years later

Jenna stood in front of the full length mirror studying her reflection carefully.  This was her last night in New York City, and Talia had convinced her to go to a club.  Not just any club, but Club Cambio, a club exclusively for werewolves. 

Over the last two years, Jenna had become proficient in all things werewolf.  Once the cat was out of the bag, or rather, the wolf out of the human, Talia became an open source of All Things Wolf.  She actually seemed relieved that Jenna knew and was more than willing to answer any questions her friend could think of, and Jenna had thought of a lot of questions.  

She had learned that there were quite a few werewolves living in the City, just going about their daily lives.  The Big Apple Pack was located in New York, and ran several very successful businesses.  The cafe Jenna and Talia worked at was owned by a member of Talia’s pack, which explained how Talia had gotten the apartment for so cheap.  The cafe owner was good friends with her family, and more than willing to help her out. 

Jenna had kept her word all of this time, never once mentioning to anyone that she knew about werewolves.  She knew the main person who Talia did not want her to tell was her father, though she had never said so.  He was a three star general, and had been working in Washington the last few years.  Him knowing could be disastrous.  But Jenna loved Talia like a sister, and she would keep her word.

Jenna had protested at first about going to a werewolf club, but Talia had worn her down until she agreed.  Besides the wolves she worked with, Jenna really hadn’t been around any other wolves.  There were three other servers at her job that Talia had told her were also wolves and she knew some of their regular customers were as well. 

Talia and Jenna had developed a signal, so she could point out other werewolves to Jenna, although after two years of people watching, Jenna had become pretty decent at picking them out herself.  They were always extremely beautiful, and athletic.  The men were drool worthy, and she sometimes couldn’t help but stare. 

"You won't be the only human at the club," Talia had promised her. “Plus it’s going to be our last night out on the town until who knows when.  I want to make it special for you.”  Talia had visited the club many times, and was sure it would be perfect for their last night together.

She had dressed Jenna in a green shimmery halter top dress that matched her eyes.  Jenna had said repeatedly that she wasn’t comfortable in the dress, but Talia had just laughed.  Besides her work uniform, she usually was a casual dresser, favoring jeans and leggings, hoodies and t-shirts.  She could dress nicely if she wanted, but she tended to spend her money on living expenses.

Jenna had found a pair of black stilettos in the back of her closet that brought her height up to five foot five inches tall. Her long brown hair hung in waves freely down her bare back and Talia had applied her makeup and let her borrow some jewelry to finish off the look.

"You look hot!" Talia said as she hurried by Jenna and across the hall to the bathroom, slamming the door behind her. "Some sexy wolf will sweep you off your feet to dance the night away," she shouted through the closed door.

Jenna sighed. Ever since she had found out about werewolves, she’d been fantasizing about that very thing, not that she would ever confess that to Talia.  The concept of mates was especially intriguing.  She couldn’t imagine finding a perfect soul mate who would be hers for all eternity.  Like wolves, werewolves also mated for life.  Jenna had asked Talia if werewolves ever had human mates.  Talia said it happened, but rarely.  That didn’t stop Jenna from romanticizing about it though.  To find someone who would be completely devoted to you was a dream she wouldn’t mind living in. 

She’d also fantasized about becoming a werewolf herself, though Talia had said that was impossible.  Humans couldn’t turn into werewolves.  

"Jenna! Are you ready to go?"  Talia's question pulled Jenna from her thoughts and she took one last look in the mirror.

"I think I am."  She smoothed her dress down once more, then grabbed the small bag Talia had set to the side for her with a few necessities.

Talia walked back into her room, looking Jenna over.  "You look perfect, Jenna!” She sat down on the bed with her shoes. ” Tonight’s going to be fun but we need to go over some rules."

Jenna frowned.  This was why she was so nervous about going tonight.  She was curious about the place, but also very nervous.   Talia had told her that most of the humans that would be in attendance would be mated to wolves.  Those that weren’t would have no idea they were among werewolves.  Which meant, she had to abide by THE rule. 

"You know rule number one," Talia said, as she slipped on one of her shoes, fastening the strap.

Jenna nodded.  THE most important rule. Don't tell anyone you know about werewolves.  Don't even acknowledge their existence. Talia mentioned that rule pretty frequently, reminding her how serious the consequences would be if anyone learned of Jenna’s knowledge.

"Rule number two:  If you get into trouble, or even if you feel threatened, or unsafe, just yell my name." Talia fastened her other shoe, then stood and teetered over to the full length mirror.  ”Most of the men at the club will be werewolves, and it's safe to say there will be more human females than males.  But even if it is a human man making you feel unsafe, call for me.

Rule number three:  Stay away from the bourbon.  Werewolf bourbon is much stronger than regular bourbon, and you will get drunk off of one shot.  Two shots, and date rape wouldn't be out of the question.  Stick with Margaritas."

Jenna nodded again.  That wouldn't be a problem.  She hated bourbon and loved margaritas.

"Rule number four:  Have fun!"  Talia hugged her friend, and Jenna laughed. She was really going to miss Talia when she left New York.

"Any other rules I need to be aware of?" 

"Nope!" Talia grabbed her hand.  "Let's get this party started!"

The girls left their apartment and caught a taxi to the club.  The ride was quiet, and Jenna stared out the window, watching the city lights zoom by.  She sighed softly, and felt Talia grab her hand, gently squeezing her fingers, before withdrawing to look at her phone.  Jenna had an odd feeling that tonight was going to change her life forever.  No, Jenna.  Tomorrow is going to be life changing, she reminded herself. 

Tomorrow, she would leave her life in New York City, and she highly doubted she'd ever come back to live here again.  Her father had called two weeks ago and asked her to come home.  Her mother had been diagnosed with cancer, and he’d asked Jenna to come take care of her full time. 

She couldn’t say no.  Her momma meant the world to her, and she would do anything for her.  Plus, Jenna had learned that living in a big city was not her thing.  The only reason she’d stayed this long was because of Talia.  Her father had unknowingly provided her with the perfect excuse to leave. 

Jenna had spent the last few weeks packing.  Talia had also decided to move out and into her pack’s apartment building, and she’d already moved quite a bit of her stuff out, leaving the apartment mostly empty. 

Jenna’s brothers would arrive tomorrow to take her home, and she couldn’t wait.  She’d only seen her family once since she’d been In New York and she really missed them all.

Jenna glanced over at Talia, who looked up and smiled, before reaching over and gently squeezing her hand again.  “Almost there.”