Chapter 48

The wolf stared at Talia, his blue eyes glowing, while she stared back. He was quite rugged and beautiful, with blond hair, shaved on the sides, and long on the top. He had a short beard, and his heavily muscled arms were covered in tattoos. He wore a black t-shirt and jeans and he stood when they entered. He wasn't overly tall by werewolf standards, but still at least six foot. Although his aura was held back, he still exuded power, similar to the Alpha King.

Lila sat down in her mind, calm for once as she gazed at the male, her interest peaked. He hadn't taken his blue eyes off of her.

"Talia, this is Ragnar, my Beta," Daniel said, glancing back and forth between the two of them, curiously. He had linked Ragnar on the way down as to why he was bringing her. "I've got a few more things to do before we can get out of here. I'm going to leave her in your care."

"Alright," Ragnar murmured, his gaze never leaving Talia.

Daniel raised an eyebrow at him, then shook his head and left the room.

Talia was barely aware that Daniel had left as she stared at the Beta. He suddenly broke off eye contact and walked closer to her. He smells heavenly, she thought as he stopped about a foot from her.

"Are you ready for this?" he asked, his gaze still intense as it met hers, his eyes randomly glowing blue as his wolf looked at her.

The Beta's words broke her out of her trance, and she frowned, shocked at her own actions. She was down here to put down her mate's killer. What was wrong with her?

'What is going on, Lila?' she asked her wolf.

'I'm not sure,' Lila answered, still lying down though her ears remained pricked forward.

Ragnar stepped around her and led her out of the room, then down the hall before stopping at another door. There was a small barred window at the top and she glanced in. The Beta was strapped into a chair, his face a bloody mess. Images of James in the same position flashed through her mind, and she pulled back with a gasp. Could she do this? Panic began to set in as memories from that morning passed before her eyes, and she started to sob.

Strong arms pulled her into a warm chest, and Talia felt waves of calm flow over her, as her panic began to recede. She laid her head against his chest, letting his scent drift over her as she cried. "I can't do this," she whispered. "I just ... I can't. I'm letting him down."

"You don't have to, and somehow I don't think he would want you to." Ragnar said quietly as he held her. "Killing him will not take the pain away. If anything, it'll only add to it. It won't give you the peace you seek. Only time will ease the ache. I'll kill him for you."

She looked up at him and he gently brushed the tears from her cheeks with his thumbs. Lila purred in her mind, relaxing her. For the first time that day, Talia felt safe. "You'd kill for me?"

"Yes, I'd kill for you," he said quietly, his eyes glowing blue again as he stared down at her. "Tell me how."

He started to step back, but she grabbed him. "Please..." Don't let me go.

He seemed to know what she wanted, and he wrapped his arms around her again, pulling her against him. Talia let herself enjoy the comfort for a few moments. She felt guilty for allowing another male to hold her so intimately, but at the same time, it felt right. Lila was still purring in her mind.

After a bit, she pulled away and slowly told him how she wanted the Beta to die. Tears ran down her cheeks as she recalled her mate's death. She never met Ragnar's gaze as she spoke, instead opting to stare at his chest, though she could feel his eyes on her. When she was done, she looked up, and watched his eyes glow blue again as he nodded to her. He brushed her tears away again, then turned away from her.