Chapter 58

She stepped on to the elevator and took it up to the fourth floor, then headed down the hall to her in-law's apartment.

Charlotte opened the door before Jenna even knocked and hugged her before taking Noelle from her. Jenna was surprised to see Talia sitting on the chair Ragnar had been in earlier, rocking Matthew.

Talia had a faraway look in her eyes, but she focused on Jenna. "Hey."

"Hi," Jenna sat down on the couch, Charlotte on the other end.

"How did it go at your father's?"

"Good. We got everything we needed to, and my father knows I'm turning," Jenna leaned back, watching Talia. She seemed to be zoned out again.

"How did he take that news?" Charlotte asked, gently patting Noelle's back.

"Better than I expected. He's completely okay with it. Oh and Tyler's back," Jenna told her.

"Yeah Charity told me he was returning today. She won't be back until Thursday," Charlotte said, her gaze too on Talia.

The women chatted for a while longer, though Talia never joined the conversation. Matthew slept through it all, while Noelle demanded to be fed. "This little one reminds me so much of Danny when he was a pup," Charlotte laughed as she gave Noelle her bottle.

Jenna really liked Charlotte. The woman had a sunny disposition that was contagious.

The men finally returned, and Jenna noticed that Talia seemed to snap out of it when Ragnar entered the room. She watched them look at each other, then Ragar placed a hand on her shoulder and Talia visibly relaxed.

Daniel sat down next to her on the couch. "Jenna, how would you feel about leaving Noelle with my parents and going out to dinner?"

Jenna bit her lip as everyone in the room stopped talking. She felt like she was under intense scrutiny. She looked at Noelle and sighed. She had to leave her tomorrow.

"We don't have to, Jenna." Daniel took her hand. He could feel her conflict and fear. He hadn't meant to put her on the spot.

Baby steps, Jenna. "Can we go get food and bring it back here?"

"Of course," Daniel agreed. At some point he wanted her to eat with the pack, but she'd been so overwhelmed with everything lately, he hadn't brought it up. He stood up and grabbed Noelle's diaper bag.

"They're going to need that," Jenna told him.

Daniel turned around confused.

"Thank you for watching her," Jenna told Charlotte. "We'll be back."

Daniel gave her a big grin as he followed her out of the apartment.

"Let's go before I change my mind," Jenna grimaced.

"We don't have to leave her," Daniel said, taking her hand when they stepped in the elevator.

"No. I don't want to be a helicopter mom," Jenna said firmly.

"No one could blame you if you were." Daniel pulled her into his arms, and Jenna smiled as she remembered her first elevator ride with him. "But if I didn't have the utmost trust in my parents to keep her safe, she'd be coming with us."

They left the building, and Daniel took her over to one of his sports cars, opening the door for her to get in.

"I'm surprised Talia was out in the living room," Daniel murmured as they headed off of pack lands.

"She might as well not have been. She said hi to me and that was it. She just zoned out after that until Ragnar came in." She stared out the window, watching the woods.