Chapter 24

Ragnar Asgrim pinched the bridge of his nose and sighed as he sat back in the passenger seat of the black SUV.

He'd been in Texas for the last couple of days meeting with the alpha of the Lonestar pack to discuss a rogue problem.

While he didn't have a problem with rogues in general, this group of rogues seemed to be involved in quite a bit of criminal activity.

Lonestar had been monitoring them for a few weeks now before alerting Regal Eclipse. Ragnar had come to Texas to learn what they had found.

It was worse than what he had originally believed. The rogues were involved in trafficking drugs, guns and humans. They were building quite an enterprise.

The problem would have to be dealt with before the human authorities became too aware of what was going on.

Ragnar would return to his pack and present the information so they could decide what to do.

"You okay, Beta?"

He glanced up at Eric and smiled. "Yup I'm good." Eric was a Gamma in the Lonestar pack and had been tasked with taking Ragnar back to the airport. "Hey, can we stop at the cafe on our way out?"

Eric smiled. "You have time?"

"The plane ain't going to take off without me."

"Alright then, let's go."

Lonestar pack was the biggest pack in the United States and had a lot of land. They had their own private airport, and a small town with a convention center that could be rented out by both humans and wolves. They also ran a huge cattle ranch and supplied beef to most of the packs in the States.

Eric pulled in behind the cafe and parked. Both men headed inside the back entrance of the cafe and found a small table.

A gorgeous blond she-wolf immediately walked up, and bowed her head. "Welcome! What can I get you both to drink?" she asked as she placed menus in front of them.

Ragnar glanced her over quietly as she gave him a flirtatious smile. It really was too bad he was flying out this evening. It was also too bad he avoided she-wolves like the plague. They were much too complicated, power hungry, and hopeful that he would take them as a chosen mate.

Humans were so much more simple. They didn't know what or who he was and generally were not looking for anything long term. They were just attracted to his werewolf good looks and the pleasure he could give them.

But it was all meaningless anymore to him. All he wanted was his mate, elusive creature that she was.

The ringing of the bell above the front entrance, followed by a small intake of breath from Eric pulled Ragnar from his thoughts.

The Gamma was looking towards the entrance and Ragnar followed his gaze. A woman had walked in and was now waiting to be seated, and it seemed she had caught the attention of everyone in the room.

She was a tiny little thing with brown ringlets piled up on top of her head. Her colorful sundress pulled tightly around her very pregnant belly.

The hostess hurried over to her and bowed her head. She then led the woman to a booth, and she sat down facing Ragnar, a small look of relief crossing her face.

*Who's she?" Ragnar asked Eric, completely intrigued.

She even had his wolf, Rollo's attention which was unusual. Rollo was never interested in any of the women Ragnar was interested in. He mostly ignored them or half dozed in Ragnar's mind. 'Pointless,' the wolf had told him more than once.